Louisiana Citrus Crop for sale

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My story: Mom and Dad have an orchard. Mom and Dad do very well with their orchard.....sell their own from home and along roadsides. (now fast forward about 15 years). I have 2 elderly parents who are no longer able to tend their orchard or sell the frut. I have a full time job and family to homeschool. I CAN'T retail the fruit.

Where you fit in: If you live within the surrounding states and can justify the trip to sell the fruit at a farmer's market, we can talk business. I now have Satsumas that need to be harvested and sold. They are very sweet and orange....easy peel type of fruit. Very few seeds.
I also have other oranges that can be harvested, although not as sweet as the satsumas. I can harvest navels, grapefruits, mandarines and a few very large lemons. I will later be able to harvest the Louisiana Sweets.
I do have 80 Louisiana Citrus boxes, I can fill to sell, but I'm afraid they costed more $ than I'm happy about and if I'd need to part with them, I would want my $ back. However if someone has access to their own crates, I can sell my current fruit for $20/crate, which weighs 40Lbs. Thats .50cents/LB.
Please note that I do live very far south and have ample access to seafood most of the year, so if shrimp is something you think you can also sell, I can make a few phone calls, provided I know for sure the arrangement is a strong possibility.
This is not something that will end. Next year and next decade, I will be in the same situation that you read above, so if at a later time you wish to do some farmer's marketing, you can contact me to do business. The furthur you are to the north, the higher you can charge for citrus. Once I know I can do business and can trust someone, I can probably arrange a shorter trip, because I have family that makes frequent trips 4 hours north of our home town of Cut Off. Its just that I don't want them travelling with a truckload of fruit that they might be returning to me. Plus it would mean them possibly making a cash exchange and not sure how they'd feel about it. But it is a possibility.
PM me if interested or text me at 985-258-6812.....I can always edit this if my contact info changes.
Please be aware that this is my family's business and I'm only receiving for my labor and making of deals. My parent's still get owner's share, until I inherit this orchard.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would contact another local farm stand/orchard. Perhaps they could make it easy and take the whole thing off your hands??

Good luck,

g

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not feasible. Very few farmers markets to deal with and most have citrus already. There is no local shortage of citrus. My best bet is to find a few people furthur north to either barter, bigtime or sell it outright. DH is talking about us taking a vacation next year.......to go north, to work:( I'm not really a salesperson, but eventually we will have to figure some kind of a gameplan. I've exhaused pretty much every idea of marketing the fruit locally.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wish it was easy for you to send up this way. But, I'm sure it would be too expensive to make it worth it for me to do anything w/it. :(

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i wish you werent so far away. i would kill to have all that citrus!!! it is SO expencive to buy oranges at the store.

is it leagle to ship it?

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If I had enough really big orders, I'd consider putting a trip together. It would be way less drama for me than harvesting, cleaning, boxing, hauling and then doing the marketing as well, with no guarantee and a deadline to return home. Of course, I'd have to play with the math and increase the price of each box of fruit to allow for my milage. I'm not sure about the legalities of crossing state lines with produce. I'm sure its fine, so long as it goes to a farmer's market or private sale. There is a bit of complication regarding selling to grocers. I have to have my name on the Louisiana Citrus box. Then the parish agent informs me that if the fruit isn't up to code, that the government could seize the whole crop. I told him that would be terrible. Then the coons would starve. To tell the truth, I think it would be funny to see a bunch of federal agents plucking fruit off the trees, but I'm sure thats not how it would go down.
Well, last year Daddy's health started really failing and then he broke his pelvis (in several places) and his left hip on October 30th, so he is in a hospital bed and I'm not sure to what extent he will be rehabilitated. So I guess its me, DH and our kids that need to tend to the orchard this year for sure.
If I absolutely have to, I will bless all the relatives, churches and friends locally with the satsumas, but then I'll have the other oranges coming ripe and needing to be marketed.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Need to bump this to the top again. I have a weekly sale, but it used to be 3 times a week. If it were still that often, I wouldn't be posting right now. Local market is not going to allow me to sell the amount of fruit my family has. I believe I have about 2,000 Lbs of satsuma and the same of Louisiana Sweet oranges right now that needs to be harvested. If anyone can assist me with finding a buyer, please respond or PM me. It must go north. Too much competition in my area.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Dang. wish I could make an arrangement. It Would Do well up here.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder what it would cost to put the stuff on a train. Yes it is a lot of fruit. I get a bit aggrevated when I see the coons have feasted, but then again, I eat coon too, so maybe I will get a meal from it in another way.
It is frustrating to have so much food and know you won't be able to make use of it.
I will try to think of ways to market it for a couple of more weeks and if I absolutely can't, I will call Second Harvest and donate the stuff for soup kitchens and such. At least the fruit would be used, God will be pleased and the trees will be free of the extra weight until next season.
A man in Arkansas told me if I had called 2 weeks earlier, he could have done business with me. He wants me to keep his contact info for next year, right before Thanksgiving. Well, thats very nice for next year, but right now I have a product to market.
If only the boat company hadn't decreased their order, I"d be good.
I can also set up every house in town with about 4 extremely large lemons, but that is from a single tree. Crazy how much fruit can fit on just one tree.
I need to locate an awesome marmalade recipe. Not that I can ever make marmalade to cancel out 4,000Lbs of fruit, but maybe I can do a little something with it.
Well, my problem still exists, so if ANYONE out there can help me market this fruit, please just speak up. I'm down to just my income now.....I haven't received any help from DH since we busted apart, so it would be awesome if I could pack this fruit.