Low carb?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Anyone else trying to cut down on the carbs? And, does anyone have a good resource for determining the carbs in various foods - specifically whole foods. Somehow it just isn't helpful to me to have it suggested that I should just "check the label" :rolleyes:. Most of the things I cook don't have a label. I can find what I need, but I have to search all over for it, and haven't found a single site that has what I'm looking for. Though I would think that somewhere in the vast internet such a place must exist. Kind of like a calorie counter (and those are a dime a dozen) but for carbs. I know "in general" what is lower and what is higher, but I would like a reference to keep me from straying - like maybe something I could print out and stick on the 'fridge.
I got on the scale this morning, and decided that it is definitely time that I take steps to get back on track with my weight :/

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Check out lowcarbfriends.com
they have a bunch of info.
Nancy

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Many thanks to both of you. Those both look like very interesting sites, and seem to have very usable information. Playing this carbohydrate game "by guess and by golly" is only keeping my weight more or less static. With this information I hope to get rid of a few pounds. :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'm focusing significantly more on vegetables and by default eliminating a lot of grains. Apples and pb for breakfast, pork loin, carrots, grapefruit and avocado for lunch, for example. Not necessarily low carb but definitely low grain.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm trying to get hubby to buy less treat stuff. That right there would almost eliminate most grains from my diet and do me a world of good.

I'm probably developing a wheat allergy as the symptoms I'm having are the same as how Mom's started 15 or so years ago. I'm not going to quit eating it entirely. Got to have some occasionally to keep up a tolerance. Found out with onions that if I go to long it's a very, very bad thing. Mom gets extremely ill if there is any in something she even tastes and spits out and washes her mouth out. The hives are a lovely thing, too. I don't have issues with the chaff in the breeze at least like Mom does. She's miserable during harvest time.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hinotori - How awful for your mom! I can't even imagine.

Luckily I am not allergic to anything. It might be better if I were; I'd be more motivated to avoid things ;). No, no - I didn't really mean it! I really am very lucky, and I know it. Another thing in my favor is that I weaned myself off of sweets years ago, and don't crave them. What I do crave - and what has been my downfall in the past when trying to restrict carbs - is bread, and pasta, and potatoes, and grain salads, and things like that. But ... we shall see. I am on the verge of needing to buy clothes in the next size up ... and I hate, with a passion, buying clothes. So that is a great motivator for me :lol:

Naughty

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi... I am a diabetic so low carb is essential for me. Atkins.com has carb info. They are also doing a starter kit freebie right now that includes a pocket sized carb booklet

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Naughty said:
Hi... I am a diabetic so low carb is essential for me. Atkins.com has carb info. They are also doing a starter kit freebie right now that includes a pocket sized carb booklet
Thanks for the info. And :welcome

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my dh is diabetic also and we did the atkins diet. he lost @8-12 lbs a week, i lost 3:somad. so i didnt stay on it, but it works by eleminating carbs. go to your local hy vee and ask to see the diatican (most hyvees have one now) and she walked us threw the store and showed us what were the best to avoid and gave us alternitives for our favorite stuff. and some great info. she gave us a handout of good and bad carbs in foods.