Make your own kombucha scoby

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that link, Bird Brain!

I can't wait to try it, much to hubby's chagrin! :lol: His comment, when I explained what it was..."Great! Another science experiment!". :gig

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mine jokes about me brewing hooch on the counter. :lol:

JuJuBean

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This is also how I got my first scoby. GTS Kombucha is about 3.50/bottle. Now I have 4 gallon sized jars going, all from that one scoby. They grow and multiply pretty quickly when they aren't kept in the fridge.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I always thought that you could separate the new, thin, Scoby from the old one but mine is always one big thick mass. My Scoby is about 3/4" thick after about two years of brewing and re-brewing. I drink 4 oz. every morning with breakfast.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boogity, you can cut your scoby in half, like cutting a pie. It will grow to fit the diameter of your brewing container. On an older, full sized scoby, I believe the new one grows on top, so you could theoretically peel the old part off, in a layer. I have only been brewing kombucha for a couple of months. I did try it with the purchased kombucha, and it made a great scoby, but I wasn't quite brave enough to try the resulting kombucha. The great great grandmother of my current scoby was given to me by a friend.
I flavor mine with fresh ginger after about a week. My DH loves it, believe it or not, after he watched me drink some and it didn't kill me. Right now I have a half gallon in the fridge--It's weaker than I like :(, a gallon sitting with ginger in it and a tight lid on it on the counter, (this is to help make it more carbonated, but there is a slight fear of it exploding. I have a plastic lid on it, so I am hoping that would go first), and a gallon with the scoby in it, brewing up a storm. Making it is sort of an art, not a science. I have been told not to put any extra scoby down the garbage disposal, as it could take up life in your septic system, and grow to monstrous proportions. :hide

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
so lucky said:
I have been told not to put any extra scoby down the garbage disposal, as it could take up life in your septic system, and grow to monstrous proportions. :hide
The SCOBY that ate Chicago. I remember a movie like that a million years ago. Well, not exactly like that ;)

I have cut my SCOBY many times to give to other folks. There must be 10 or 12 young'uns out there.

lorieMN

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I dont think they would live in a septic..unless you dump hundreds of lbs of sugar down there every now and then..I give my extra scobies to the chickens,,they love them!

BirdBrain

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cut it up in prices that they can swallow and they will get to business