Makeshift plow

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Any of yall taken stuff laying around and made some sort of makeshift plow? I've got enough old saw blades to make a makeshift harrow, but was trying to figure out how to make something strong enough to plow/rip the expanded garden area since its mostly grass. (The chickens aren't doing a very good job for me :barnie )

I tried turning it with a shovel, but with a messed up shoulder, it makes it painful. I will use the shovel if absolutely necessary, but if I can get the plow figured out, it'd be much easier and time efficient ;)

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I used a pitchfork last year to break up the ground. I want to get a real garden fork though because the tines bent a little bit in the rocky soil we have here. Otherwise it was pretty easy and did a great job.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I pitchfork would be bent in a heartbeat here.. I've straightened out the two we have several times already :lol:

I was thinking something I could put behind the 4wheeler and drag around.

I wonder if a railroad tie with some cultivator tines would do any good, hmmm....

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Snowhunter said:
Any of yall taken stuff laying around and made some sort of makeshift plow? I've got enough old saw blades to make a makeshift harrow, but was trying to figure out how to make something strong enough to plow/rip the expanded garden area since its mostly grass. (The chickens aren't doing a very good job for me :barnie )
Probably not an easy sort of thing to rig up at home, though some people could do it. I've never done it.

Do you have an arc welder and arc-welding skills? Arc welding and metal forming skills and a decently outfitted shop.

Anyhow, I just did a very quick search for you, but here's a YouTube vid that probably shows something that comes close to your need/idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_aAK2vmN6k&feature=related

You might find other good vids on YouTube that would be helpful to you, so spend some time looking.

You might also search online or go to a library and do research about the history of the plow (or plough) to get design ideas. But realize that many centuries ago farmers had already arrived at the point of having fairly bulky apparatuses of iron and wood that were pulled either by an ox or a stout horse.

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I didn't even think of youtube, :hide Thank you!

DH can weld, but the welder we got here is a small crappy one. Barely welds cattle panels together! We got a welding shop close we can take something to if need be though.

We've got tons of pipes, lumber and such.

I got a drag made out of cattle panels, concrete block and smooth wire.

Tryin to figure out how to make something like this: (round here we usually call this a ripper or scarifier)
Cultivator

Or even a typical spade type plow.

If I can make one myself, I'd rather. I can't fathom forking out the dough to get one specifically designed for the tractors 3pt hitch system, they want a few body parts worth for them things :th

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hmm, well, I think I have part of the issue figured out!

Walked outside and whats been sitting in the driveway for 6 months?

These!
3005_ripper.jpg

After DH's truck was totaled, the frame was bent right where the reciever hitch bolts up. These are the wings that attatch from the straight bars to the frame. They've been right under my nose the whole time :lol: Gotta dig through the pile of all them metal pieces and such and see what else I can come up with.

But they'll work for teeth :D

I wonder if I could bolt em to the old tailgate :idunno Hmmmm.....