Making a cute luminary for Halloween, Christmas, parties.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If you have a large freezer, these are fun to make and are beautiful when done. A friend of mine did this years ago for an outside fall wedding.

Large coffee, or similar, can. Fill half or more with water, place a smaller, soup can with a heavy weight (rocks, etc.) down in the middle. The water should then come up to the top of the soup can but not overflowing it. Place ivy or flowers or holly and pine, rubber spiders and bats....just about anything that would look good with light behind it...in the water around the soup can. Freeze this.

Take out of the freezer and fill the soup can with hot water and let sit until it comes out of the ice easily. By this time the ice should also come out of the coffee can easily, but if not, just immerse the can in a sink of warm water. After removing the ice you should have a large round "votive" with an opening in the middle for a candle. These can be wrapped in wax paper and stored in the freezer for later use or used immediately. My friend had placed hers on a wrought iron candle stand and they were simply lovely. The backlit ivy was an elegant touch for a country wedding.

I tried this myself at a Christmas party and they were a big hit. You would be surprised how long they last, even in warmer weather.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I LOVE that idea! I can't wait for the opportunity to make some! TFS!

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
we made some of those for aour driveway at our old hose, we stopped because our new drive way is a 1/4 mile long.

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here is something very similar that we do here in winter.

Fill a five gallon bucket with water and leave outside overnight to freeze. It will not freeze solid so you dump out the inside and it makes a large cylinder of ice with a hollow center. Set a candle in the center and it makes the whole bock of ice glow.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Nuggetsowner:) said:
Here is something very similar that we do here in winter.

Fill a five gallon bucket with water and leave outside overnight to freeze. It will not freeze solid so you dump out the inside and it makes a large cylinder of ice with a hollow center. Set a candle in the center and it makes the whole bock of ice glow.
that must look cool. I will try that. But in vt, it will will be a matter of minutes :lol: :|

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is something I think everyone can use in the summer.
Beekissed, this is the same thing as your idea. You would want to make this a little bigger so figure out what container would fit inside another and fill outer one with water. In the water (or lemonade, or koolaid etc.) you put orange slices, watermelon slices etc, etc. Freeze as before. Take the inner can out and the outer can off when frozen solid. In the inner hole you can put lemonade, koolaid, fruit etc. Place the whole thing in a shallow dish so when it melts it will not make a mess on the floor. Keeps the item freezing cold!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
THAT sounds de-lish! Do you think the drink would get watered down after a while? Maybe one could make the ice ring from the original fluid and then put the liquid inside..... :hu hmmmmm...thoughts a rollin'!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is why you try to make the ice bucket? out of the drink it will be holding. It may water it down a bit, but not to bad. I does work good tho. Pretty too.