Making beanies

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As some of y’all know my community has been hit very hard by Hurricane Ida and many of us are now living in alternative houses, FEMA trailers and some have even left the bayou entirely.
So I am currently living on a street that has a long history of farming and it so happens that the director of our local community center lives about 10 houses down the street from me. She called me to inform that we will not have an Angel Tree program this year because it was canceled. She was very upset because that program was some kid’s only chance of opening any Christmas presents at all.....something I can’t even imagine. So she told me she had received over 50 quilts and she was thinking....can I crochet beanies to go with them?? So I told her I would try to get my female relatives to help me get enough done on time so I have a cousin, sister and niece crocheting beanies and myself. Alone I would never finish.
Still I am sitting here imagining a child receiving just this 🤷‍♀️. So I am wondering about ideas for good, useful books for children...something that would actually help them that could be bought in bulk for a discount if I can learn of a way to finance or maybe the director. Or something that would grab their interest....know what I mean? I am open for suggestions. Keep in mind it’s possible the neighbors kids will have great computer things and ATVs that would obviously not be in reach.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Actually she informs me that she is getting calls from everywhere...not necessarily just about this but also about food distribution and renting a new place to have our community center located so I don’t see there will be a problem with me openly sharing. Her name is Tricha Gross and her number is 985-258-2516. She worked tirelessly from the very beginning of this situation. Her husband had asked us to go over for supper every night because he said People are forgetting to eat and he was cooking. We went over and were very warmly received and she put 3 boxes of supplies for me with cleaning supplies, a bucket, ropes, tarps, bandages and a TOOTHBRUSH!! I can’t tell y’all how happy I was to finally brush my teeth.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
candy! candy is always welcome around the holidays. I would think any type of crayons or markers too. I don't know the age--but socks, for some reason I always give my girls socks for the holidays and they love it. PM me the director's email or phone number if you can please