Making Butter

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I tried to do a search for posts where making your own butter was discussed, but you can imagine how that went - every thread in this subforum came up! :gig

Those of ou who do it, can you pass along your methods? I have fresh cream in the fridge right now, I'd love to make my own butter, if only just this once....

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
I've made butter using goat milk cream. It didn't turn out as well as I liked, but I bet it would work with your cow cream.

Basically you pour as much cold cream as you want into a jar, as long as there is some head room, and then shake. The cream should be cold, not too warm. The recipe I originally went by said 15-20 minutes, so it depends on the cream and the fat and protien amounts. Once about half of the 'butterfat' has become a solid drain the buttermilk off and knead the butter to get rid of any excess buttermilk.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i think i had the same experience as blackbird - i spent a week getting enough cream from the goatsmilk! then i didnt like it
:-(

but for cow's cream i just used the old - shake the jar method...which i've used before. i think its fun how all of a sudden it comes together. the hardest part for me is getting the milk out of it by rinsing. i once dropped a huge glob of it in the sink - where it went down the drain. drat!

dont forget to use the buttermilk!

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
We did the same as BB in my DDs 1st grade class. Put cold cream into a jar and shook it. We also did this at Thanksgiving with the family, passing the jar around :)

As soon as the butter separates, you want to add some salt and give it a good stir through.

Of course this method is for small amounts but it is fun.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I use my little food processor. It makes great butter in about 2 minutes.

Latest posts