MAKING $ FROM CHICKENS, GOATS AND GARDEN

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have had good luck selling turkeys, chickens and ducks sell to slow for me. I have 6 bee hives and make a lot selling honey and wax.
Bees are easy and help you garden a lot.
Brian

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thought about bees, and we do want them but can't until we can afford to finish fencing off property. Bad neighbors like to run their dogs, kids and atv's right where we'd place the hive(s). Can't get them to stop but a fence will. That definitely sounds like a good thing!

We have chicks hatching, and just had another hen go broody (she did an excellent job last year). Will give her 6-7 eggs tomorrow; I don't make much money on chicks tho.

Sweet red cherries are going for $4.98 a pound right now. We just planted 3 sweet cherry trees (and 2 tart/pie) but even tho they already have a few cherri on them, it'll be a year or so before we have enough to satisfy us AND sell extras.

Raspberries, blackberries and blueberries are in the grocery right now but again, our just-planted bushes won't produce enough for a year or so to be able to sell extras. However, we do have 4 currant bushes to plant this weekend (2 black, 2 white) and they already have berries on them. Hoping we can sell some this year.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Check into your laws... Here, it's illegal to sell meat, but you can sell live chickens, then offer "free" butchering of said chickens for the individual who purchases the chickens.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
Check into your laws... Here, it's illegal to sell meat, but you can sell live chickens, then offer "free" butchering of said chickens for the individual who purchases the chickens.
Same here but we don't butcher (kinda outsource) plus, like I said, we don't really have enough extra to provide meat for US and still have some left to sell. Thanks tho.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Alot of states dont allow meat or milk to sell for human consumtion, without a permit and inspection. But in most states there is a way around that, sell for "animal use only". And what the people do with it after they get home is up to them.

marlo1968

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
You may not be able to sell a butchered chicken to ppl, but you can sell a live one for them to butcher. Good luck with your venture, hope all works out. :)

I've edited to add this as I recalled while I was in the garden tonight. If you have beets planted then start harvesting the leaves while they are young and tender, leaving some for the root, it will grow more. Sell the beet greens as you would lettuces or spinach. In a ziplock baggie, they are great in a salad. We had a community garden last year (the property sold and we can't have it there any longer) to help offset water costs and help pay for the start-up we sold items at the local farmers market (we were part of the church, so a non-profit), beet greens were always the first to go, no one else had them. Also mustard greens, collard greens, swiss chard are great things to grow and sell because you can produce a high volumn in a smaller area.