Making oil from plastic (at home)

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Here is a very interesting video. You will have to read the captions as this video is in Japanese. While you are at this YouTube site there are several other videos on this topic. Wouldn't it be great if we would start to use our waste in great quantities?

Click here

I'm sure that most of us here at SS forum do some type of recycling and I'm also sure that all of us realize that there could be much more re-use of our waste that goes to landfill.

Ossy

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Wow. Really very interesting. I like it man. Thanks for sharing. :)
Keep sharing. Thanks. :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well if Japan has the technology why don't we? Why doesn't America make some of those machines and start converting plastic back to oil? That machine doesn't look very complicated and if it works like he says it does, then if every family had one of those machines we could make our own fuels......guess that's the catch...nobody wants us to make our own fuels, that wouldn't create a need for their oil. Maybe some day we can get around all the politics and lower our CO2 emissions, but probably not in my lifetime.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There was a link underneath the video that talked more about it. Unfortunately, the company only makes them for industrial use right now (but feel to contact them and ask about personal use machines); 60+ machines in place throughout Japan and worldwide, it said.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Well if Japan has the technology why don't we? Why doesn't America make some of those machines and start converting plastic back to oil? That machine doesn't look very complicated and if it works like he says it does, then if every family had one of those machines we could make our own fuels......guess that's the catch...nobody wants us to make our own fuels, that wouldn't create a need for their oil. Maybe some day we can get around all the politics and lower our CO2 emissions, but probably not in my lifetime.
We do! I have a friend who used to work for a company down in Longview, Wa that is called plas2fuel. They have been working on this for years. There is also a company that does tires and another that uses turkey guts and feathers.

The process is fairly simple for tires and plastic. All you have to do is heat the material in a chamber that is oxygen deprived and break it down. Some use external fires heated with electricity, some natural gas and at least two use different outfits use microwaves.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Perhaps our "trash" will save our economy because it will generate jobs here rather than ship the trash to other countries in order to give their people jobs...seems like a good idea to me. :celebrate