Making pressed fuel

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make their own heating and cooking fuel out of paper and sawdust? I found this video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-VY4LUC78YW4/homemade_fuel_briquette_press/ and wondered if anyone has experimented. I am thinking about giving it a try, because I have so much scrap paper around. (A 3x3x4 foot box full so far; I am cleaning my garage.) If I can find a free source of sawdust, I think I will give this a try. I am thinking about using a jack such as you use to jack up a car.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I have made paper for many years for crafts and the like, and I am wondering if I can just use a bigger version. I was thinking about soaking the paper in a lot of water for a week or so, until it starts to fall apart on its own, and then, as I think this guy did, use a mixing attachment on my drill. I suppose what could happen if I mix it too soon is that it will become a spinning life form and take over the world.

So maybe I will enlist my grandchildren's help in tearing.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My paper didn't fall apart after a week in water. That was the problem :p

If I had a heavy duty shredder and started with fine shredded paper, that would have worked fine. Since we are considering getting one for the shop, the brick maker is in the shed waiting for hubby to finally get that shredder ordered.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you ! I think my age is showing today. I remembered having read that thread some months ago, after you reminded me. Sorry to clutter up the board with a repeat.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
My paper didn't fall apart after a week in water. That was the problem :p

If I had a heavy duty shredder and started with fine shredded paper, that would have worked fine. Since we are considering getting one for the shop, the brick maker is in the shed waiting for hubby to finally get that shredder ordered.
Hmm. Well, I wonder how this will work out. I have boxes and boxes of paper and no shredder at all. Thanks....

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla,
I just saw one of those brick makers in the Lehman's catalogue. I was thinking it might work great for us. I have access to paper from school and dh office and with no woods near by...

How well does it work? Is it easy??? We always made newspaper rolls when I was a kid and tied them with a coat hanger or string.

Thanks, gina

ps I am addicted to the nifty knitter and it's all your fault. :p

Latest posts