Making rugs

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I am in need of new porch rugs for wiping feet. I have previously made a small rug by crocheting ripped up scrap jeans. It was a bit thick, but nice and long wearing for inside use. I also can think through how to braid a rug, although I have never tried it. Who here makes rugs? What material do you use? What techniques do you use? Is there any recyclable material that I could use for an outdoor rug that would stand up awhile to the elements?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
I am in need of new porch rugs for wiping feet. I have previously made a small rug by crocheting ripped up scrap jeans. It was a bit thick, but nice and long wearing for inside use. I also can think through how to braid a rug, although I have never tried it. Who here makes rugs? What material do you use? What techniques do you use? Is there any recyclable material that I could use for an outdoor rug that would stand up awhile to the elements?
Hmmm, I have book with a section on braided rugs around here somewhere. It was gift and I never tried it. I'll see if I can find it. I love the idea of using old denim! DH wears jeans to work everyday and goes through them quickly! What a great idea.....I could use one on my deck under the awning.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
My husband actually has the knowledge, or used to, to make braided rugs. His mom taught him. She used to make braided rugs all the time. He tried teaching me, but had a hard time remembering how to do it. :|

I sure would appreciate learning how to make braided rugs myself!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
The only thing I have ever seen done beside that fad of hooking rugs, is to braid scraps of cloth in a long line, then stitch the line in a circle or oval- a braided rugs.
What about those crocheted plastic bag thing that was on an earlier post here?

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
The only thing I have ever seen done beside that fad of hooking rugs, is to braid scraps of cloth in a long line, then stitch the line in a circle or oval- a braided rugs.
What about those crocheted plastic bag thing that was on an earlier post here?
This is how my mil does it,too. She uses heavy duty carpet thread to sew them together and they last a long time. She gathers coats from garage/yard sales all year, cuts them into long 2 inch wide strips and sews them all together end to end to make a several rolled balls like yarn. When she is ready to braid she folds the material in half so they are 1 inch wide and braids as she goes. She either sews the next ball into it or tucks to continue.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I bought a few... spools (or whatever you call them) of carpet yarn. I didn't know what it was. It was just in a plastic bag full of odds & ends craft supplies that I bought for a couple of dollars at the thrift store.

I thought it was regular yarn, but when I got it home, I realized it was some kind of industrial strength stuff! It feels like it is made of iron. LOL I was going to make some scrubby dish cloths out of it, but haven't yet.

Could I somehow turn it into a rug?

Cassandra

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have an idea!! I have crocheted rugs, lots of them, small medium and kinda large. Of course, we all know that if the material we are crocheting is wide, then the material will be very thick when done. But if the material is thinner, then the rug will be thinner. Having said that, Almost everyone here has animals of one kind or another. So since you want a durable rug for outside, why not cut your feed bags into 1" wide strips and crochet them? I think it would work. Durable, nice colors, rugged. :)

funkychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
check out the latest issue of mother earth...they have an article on this subject

coberdor

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have a loom and weave old clothes that I've cut into strips into rag rugs. I've been weaving for 40 years or so. I also learned how to make braided rugs from my aunt, but I love to weave. There is something very therapeutic about using the beater on a loom. The rugs last for years and years. They will last longer if you don't dry them. I wash them on a gentle cycle, letting them soak first, then spin them on high to remove most of the water. I always hang them to dry.

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
There are some good ideas here. I am thinking more about borrowing my Mother's loom to make indoor rugs. There is a woman here in town who makes a living at it. The bath rugs she makes out of yard sale towels are wonderful. I have never made a braided rug, but they sound nice and long wearing for indoor use. I still think crochet is the way to go for an outdoor mat.

Cassandra, I would love to find a stash of carpet yarn, that would be perfect to work with.

Roosmom, our feed sacks are returned to the feed store where they refill them, we get cash credit for returning them. Otherwise your idea might work well.