Making sugar... is it possible?

sdwolfden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had a unique idea but I'm not sure if it's even possible for me in my situation. I have a NEED for sugar above most people. Store bought sugar is a major draw back since I have to buy it because of my need. Honey is one alternative but where we live, bees would starve to death for lack of food. Of course, tapping trees for syrup would be another idea, but our area has primarially pines with a few oaks, cottonwoods and aspen without much else. Sugar beets might be an option, but we have very poor soil so I don't think that would work.

Does anyone have any ideas that I might not have thought of to make a "homemade" sugar source? I'm one of those kind that will try anything once, (twice if I like it).

I thought, maybe, that some other creative self supporters may have come up with something that might work. No idea is TOO outragous if you don't at least try it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Honeybees are the best solution, where do you live? You could possibly grow sugar cane and make Sorghum. But the beets nor the cane is plausible, because it takes a lot of resources, room, and time.

sdwolfden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
hey, BarredBuff
Thanks for such a quick response. I live in the Black Hills of Western South Dakota. We have very little crop or wild flowering plants right here. People around here have tried to keep honey bees, but can't establish colonies because of the lack of food sources for the bees. They either die or swarm and move off. Just east of us by 30 miles they can keep bees, but not here. Sorghum would be about the only plant that I could think that might work since they use it around here for game production areas, but how much would I need to grow to supply one person for say a year? Clear land around here is at a premium.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm hypoglycemic as well and I've found that if I eat more fat I have less problems w/my sugar. In fact, I'm not sure when the last time was that my sugar level dropped too low. I used to eat a low fat diet (except margarine, I prefer butter), but switched from 1% milk to whole milk, started to eat the skin from chicken and started eating more pork and beef fat. I've found I'm not as hungry and my sugar level stays up better. My next plan is to stop using shortening, and use lard instead for cooking. I just haven't found a source for it yet.

sdwolfden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I'm hypoglycemic as well and I've found that if I eat more fat I have less problems w/my sugar. In fact, I'm not sure when the last time was that my sugar level dropped too low. I used to eat a low fat diet (except margarine, I prefer butter), but switched from 1% milk to whole milk, started to eat the skin from chicken and started eating more pork and beef fat. I've found I'm not as hungry and my sugar level stays up better. My next plan is to stop using shortening, and use lard instead for cooking. I just haven't found a source for it yet.
Hi Denim Deb, nice to meet you. I have found that diet does help greatly in controlling my sugar. I am an "old farm boy" originally from Wisconsin, the dairy state. I have always have eaten butter, used lard for cooking and believe that the more fat on the meat, the more flavor it has. My biggest problem is my schedule. I work nights and sleep days. I MIGHT get 2 regular meals a day and usually at times when I really am not hungry like right after I get up or just before I get to bed, so as a result, I don't get as much sustainable energy as my body needs. My increased use/need for sugar helps to balance it. Where I use most of my sugar is in coffee and teas that I can drink during my working hours. With as much sugar as I use, buying it gets to be expensive and when I'm not working, my time is worth what I value it at. I look at it this way, if I spend my free time doing anything that saves me from paying for something I need or want, the time is well spent. This is the reason the idea of looking for a "homegrown sugar"source came about.

Just a general question for all.... Does anyone know anything about STEVIA? I think it is some sort of plant that is high in sugar content but I'm not sure if it can be processed at home.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
You'd probably be amazed at how little I eat some days and what I eat. I'm not hungry when I get up in the morning (at 4:30, 5:00), nor can I force myself to eat. If I did, it would come right back up. So, I normally eat around 9:00, then head out to the farm where I have my horses. And normally, I don't leave until 2:00 or after. I try to have munchies w/me for in case I get hungry, but I often don't eat anything while I'm out there. Once home, I may or may not eat lunch-it depends on how I feel. Then, depending on how I'm feeling, I may or may not eat dinner. So, some days, I only eat 2 meals. But, if I'm able to make them high fat, I stay satisfied most of the day. And most days, I don't have any type of snacks-except for a chocolate bar. (Though some days I eat more than 1. :hide ) I went from days when I couldn't eat enough, in fact I'd get tired of eating and STILL be hungry to days when I just barely eat.

I have found that if I eat a lot of white bread, snacks, white potatoes, etc I do have to eat more frequently.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I assume that you have done your own research into hypoglycemia, and know a lot more about it than I do. Therefore I also assume that you have a good reason for feeling you need to eat as much sugar as you say you do. I'm not arguing, only commenting. All that said however, a quick google search brought forth many articles saying that one of the first things to do in such a case is to drastically cut back on sugar intake, as well as on simple carbs that are recognized as sugar by the body. A quick overview (I did not read all articles in depth) also suggests cutting back on caffeine. If, of course, your doctor has recommended a specific course of action (i.e. eat more sugar) then please disregard what I have written.

Latest posts