making the best of electric heat

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If it was just me, I could do something like this, but hubby would never go for it. :(

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
Hey Paul, I like all your tube videos and subscribe to them, but try to be a bit more specific or caring when talking so we all can learn more. By the way when you say 1500 watts are you just quoting the nameplate or actually doing the math? My 1500 watt heater that only consumes 25 watt / m.. is a bit less then the hog tied tomato we call friend and much less then your 80 watt harbinger does. Is yours a buffalogator dung heater perchance?

You may be good at permaculture and rocket stoves but electronics and chemistry has my business for 30+ years, you can fool the McClowns and a yurt nugget pile driver or two but you can't induce (inductance) Frank Zappa capacitive reactance on me. (sometimes known as yellow.reluctance.snow).

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, I want a heated keyboard now.

I thought for a second about getting my (spoiled) dog a dog bed heater, but then realized that she would be prone to sleeping there all night, rather than just napping on it, and I need her in bed with me this time of year. Keeps my feet toasty-oasty warm. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't turn it on at night. :D

Jesse Chen

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everybody

One good thing about electric heat is that you can waste all the electricity that you want in your living space during heating season, and it is free since the wasted electricity is typically dissipated as heat which offsets the baseboards.

Thanks and regards
Jesse Chen

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
True, it would be even better if actual electrical usage was logged. Still, let's not pick on the guy for sharing a basically honest and informative video.

The idea of using radient and specific heat makes a lot of sense. And the quick cool down means quick respons time, probably due to minimum thermal mass. That means there's little energy wasted if you work for a few minutes or a few hours.

I get cold when I sit too long in front of my computer, too, and it usually means I should get up and move around before my blood clots spontaneously. Someone told me that your metabolism shuts down if you sit still for too long, which is bad for most of us. I can't reference it, but I do know that office workers are less likely to get an injury if they take a quick break to stretch and walk around ever 2 hours.

Jimmy__

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We are doing that on our household. :D