Making Toys for Christmas

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I got the crazy idea of making some of the little grandkids "stick ponies" (hobby horses) for Christmas. I used the instructions I got off you-tube. It was pretty easy, but trying to make them sturdy enough for the rough housing I know they will go through was challenging. I finally got them done today, 2 in brown fleece, and 2 in tan, with wild multicolored yarn manes and "glass" bear eyes. I tied a handkerchief around each one's neck and sewed it in place, partly for looks and partly to hide the workings. I even made halters out of braided cotton clothesline. Now some of my older grandkids told their mom they would like to have a sock bunny made by Grandma. So I get to start on bunnies tomorrow. Better late than never, I guess!
Several of the kids got sock monkeys last year. That was fun, too.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pictures would be awesome please. I can never seem to get my projects done.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My DH took some pictures, but for some reason, it is difficult to send them or post them with our antique computer system. Well, not difficult. Has been impossible to this point. I may try again after I get done cooking tomorrow.:)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's awesome! I think it's important for kiddos to know that not everything wonderful comes from 'the store'! I would love to see pics too if you can get hem to load.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i bet they like them better than their "store bought" gifts!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
We have a rocking lion that hubby made. It was originally made for the church we were attending. Then, they decided they didn't want it any longer and were going to toss it! :barnie So, we brought it home. Of course, my kids are too big for it, but eventually, I hope to have some grand kids that will like to play w/it.

Latest posts