Mangels for animal feed

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
There is a thread over on BYC about Mangels, and I wanted to start one here as well.
We are going to grow them for the first time this summer, as a feed source for our goats and chickens over the winter, as well as a food source for us.

Yeild per acre is immense, regardless of the kind you grow. See here, http://rareseeds.com/mammoth-red-mangel-beet.html and here, http://rareseeds.com/yellow-cylindrical-beet.html

Anyone else interested , or maybe already grow these?

FYI, I understand they do not need the same soil a carrot does, as most of the root grows above ground!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I planted them three years in a row, and got a crop this past year. The first two years we had rain, rain, and more rain, and most root crops rotted. Then we had drought, and I had to water! But I got a small crop. In a normal year, I think I would've gotten much bigger mangels.

I planted them in my wide bed garden in a double row, and saved a double row to transplant the thinnings into. It worked out ok. I will do it again. When I harvested them, I pulled a few at a time so I could feed the tops to the goats in reasonable quantities. They are quite woody and need to be chopped up for the goats, but they love them and it is so nice to have something fresh to feed in the winter.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'd like to try growing some as well for the rabbits I dont' have yet but plan on getting. :lol:

Does anyone want to trade or barter for seeds? I dont' really want to invest a lot of money buying a large amount of seeds because I'l only be growing a small number.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
I'd like to try growing some as well for the rabbits I dont' have yet but plan on getting. :lol:

Does anyone want to trade or barter for seeds? I dont' really want to invest a lot of money buying a large amount of seeds because I'l only be growing a small number.
$2.50 for 600 seeds is a bargain from Baker creek ;)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I planted them three years in a row, and got a crop this past year. The first two years we had rain, rain, and more rain, and most root crops rotted. Then we had drought, and I had to water! But I got a small crop. In a normal year, I think I would've gotten much bigger mangels.

I planted them in my wide bed garden in a double row, and saved a double row to transplant the thinnings into. It worked out ok. I will do it again. When I harvested them, I pulled a few at a time so I could feed the tops to the goats in reasonable quantities. They are quite woody and need to be chopped up for the goats, but they love them and it is so nice to have something fresh to feed in the winter.
Which kind did you grow?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
aggieterpkatie said:

Oh cool. I only saw them in the Johnny's catalog.....1 lb for $16!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
aggieterpkatie said:

Oh cool. I only saw them in the Johnny's catalog.....1 lb for $16!
www.rareseeds.com is amazing! All heirloom, and super prices.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I grew the red ones offered by Baker's Creek.
Ok. I am getting a pck of those and a pack of the yellow smaller ones.
We'll see which ones do better here.
I have a feeling, that if we have a good summer, the size is going to be rather on the large side.
20 hours of daylight makes stuff grow different up here.

Latest posts