Manual Coffee Grinder, Which To Get...?

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Now that i have coffee beans, i need to find a coffee grinder.I'm looking for a manual one for those times when there's a black out.I've seen the expensive German ones, and not so expensive Chinese one.
Is their a good one out their thats not as pricy as the German ones,or a real cheapie. Something in the middle of the road, a good value for the money. I know in most cases you get what you pay for, but sometimes a consumer gets lucky and finds good value with quality..Maybe a good online sale going on for a good one...?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Have you looked at CoffeeGeek.com? I think they have product reviews.

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Mine is a no name one that I got at Goodwill for about $2.99. It can grind one to two scoops at a time in about 30 seconds. Not ideal but handy when the power goes out etc. (And it was cheap!)

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I often see the small wooden box with the drawer type at thrift stores and yard sales. I had one once and it needed to be tightened every few uses and was not consistent with the grind. This was probably a quality of the product issue. I think I sent that one to the thrift store when I got my wall mount grinder.

Check-shopgoodwill.com.

We use a french press when we camp and DH uses one at work. I banned DH from using the french press at home as I was tired of cleaning up coffee grounds all over the kitchen.
We use a regular coffee pot and we compost the filters and grounds.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found one of the little box drawer kind at my local good will. I was so loose the beans fell though. But with a bit of tweaking it works just fine. I guess it just depends on how much you will be grinding and how much time you will have.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had whole beans before I had a grinder. So, the extra grain mill got put to the task. Then I ordered one of the drawer types. Used it 4 or 5 times, broke it and went back to my grain mill and have been using that since.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Hummm.....I already have a grain mill. If the electric grinder breaks it is good to know I have a backup :D

I bought a bag of coffee for the office and accidentally bought whole bean for their instead of ground. We used a hammer to "grind" the beans.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Hummm.....I already have a grain mill. If the electric grinder breaks it is good to know I have a backup :D

I bought a bag of coffee for the office and accidentally bought whole bean for their instead of ground. We used a hammer to "grind" the beans.
WZ, too funny!

A good old fashioned Mexican molcajete ("moca heti") would work too. When in a pinch. ;)