maran hatching problems

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been waiting for this day, but.... the chicks were due to start hatching yesterday. When I went to bed 2 were piped. So I figured I would have cheaps this morning. But they were still only about a quarter of the way around the shell and wernt churping much so I helped them out. 3 more were piped this morning, 1 got out and finaly had to help the other 2. The temp and humidity are fine, and the buff orpingtons that I put in with them are hatching fine. They are also very sticky-gooey. The buffs arnt. Is this a maran thing? Just don't know what to think. If it is a maran thing, I don't think I am going to keep looking for more.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Do you have a still air incubator? Fan? Egg turner/ I wonder if it might have to do with where the marans were placed in comparison to the buffs

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a sportsman. These are the 4th and 5th dozen I have had threw it. The marans are the only ones with this problem. They have thicker-harder shells compaired to the rest.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wish I could help you there. I should be able to, but I only have one maran and to tell the truth, I don't find much difference in my brown eggs, so I can't even identify which is her's. I'll try and see if I have an unusually dark egg that has difficulties in a few days. Because she is barred, I have her in my sex-link project to see if I can sight sex her offspring.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I might see if I can find a different person to get another dozen from and see if they do better. These eggs were sooo dark!

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What color combo of maran do you have? Is your roo of the same breed and do you have them separated from other breeds? I currently have 5 breeding projects going on.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
These are french black copper maran. And they are pure.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey funny farm,

I have the same type marans. Try raising the protein in their feed a little bit. It is supposed to help their chicks hatch. It has also been a bad year for everybody. I am on my 3rd try and have yet to hatch a baby. I came close last time after the protein change and it had almost zipped but then died from exhaustion I would think. Good luck!

Jenn

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have hatched out over 100 chicks. The marans are the only ones I have had that problem with. The eggs were bought. All my eggs have been bought or given to me. The lady I got them from admitted to having lower than norm hatches with them also.

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
I have hatched out over 100 chicks. The marans are the only ones I have had that problem with. The eggs were bought. All my eggs have been bought or given to me. The lady I got them from admitted to having lower than norm hatches with them also.
Same here. I have been getting into the habits to add packing peanut eggs into the incubator because I am afraid that maybe only one chick hatches. Well, reality was that only the packing peanuts hatched...sigh... I have 20 eggs int eh incubator due to hatch the weekend after next so I will see if the increased protein helped.