March this year

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
anyone else seeing out there on the net that they are saying into March we will be having a big economic set back?

I tell ya the doom and gloom is scary. I am not huge into all of the mess that is going to screw up the economy etc. to a true SHTF type scenario...but predications of March and further with higher prices, more job loss, products not available, stores empty, gas increases and more is sounding quite nasty.

I am kicking up my supplies now for just in case. I let them get a bit slack in some areas.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Crap now all I can think is "beware the Ides of March" :th :lol:

I haven't heard anything :hu Any details?

I got my google finger ready.....

dfr1973

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
but predications of March and further with higher prices, more job loss, products not available, stores empty, gas increases and more is sounding quite nasty.
While I can't tell on the timing (hadn't heard the bit about March) all those things are indeed coming at some point. I've been seeing the prices creeping up steadily over the past year at the grocery store, and gasoline stayed stubbornly high over the winter season, which it usually doesn't do. The annual spring run-up at the gas pump may be ugly this year, and cost of both diesel and gasoline have a direct affect on the price of everything in the stores. Meanwhile, the Baltic Dry Index, which tracks dry cargo shipping, has been plunging over the past month, which means not as much is moving across the oceans.

It's feeling a bit 2008-ish, from the macro-economic signals I have been keeping an eye on.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea don't know all the facts
I just heard someone else mention it and I have been googling some info.

I typed in March 2012 economy and hit stuff saying by late fall we might be in a mess.
with Europe in massive troubles and other stuff and how it all affects down the line.

I just 'got that feeling' somehow that I have to get some ducks in a row here (just in case)
not going crazy...but when I read some stuff it got me thinking again...which isn't good sometimes :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I heard March too. Supposedly, that's when it 'begins' but it won't become completely wretched until August. Or, so I read. Who can say, honestly? I just keep watching Europe, and wishing we didn't have a mountain of bills due this month! :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes SS I heard March is the start of the downfall also. Then I read by early fall or something the true situation of 'bad' should surface.

Again I don't know all this economic stuff much. I get bits and pieces and then like to hear what to hear how others put it all together.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
For sure I wouldn't know...I missed the whole 2008 scare! :p Didn't even know anything had changed in the economy or the world except some stock market crapola that doesn't apply to the poor folk. I generally just keep putting along in my groove and don't pay such things any mind.... :)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I generally just keep putting along in my groove and don't pay such things any mind.... :)
Yeah, that's my style too. I'm not stupid, but I've always had a very hard time putting my head into economic matters - or at least matters that go beyond our own household earning and expenditure. I've always picked up little bits here and there, but I do not find that I like to study it.

On the other hand, I've had a feeling most of my life that in general the economies of the U.S. and Canada (and other 'developed nations') had been allowed to build themselves on a puffed-up and frivolous basis. Too many people willing to buy on credit (including on the basis of credit cards, where the interest rates were so exhorbitant). People putting their money into silly frills instead of mostly into substance. Etc, etc. Have my posts sounded obsessive about this??:duc

FarmerChick said:
I am kicking up my supplies now for just in case. I let them get a bit slack in some areas.
Which supplies do you find tend to get depeleted? Just curious... but don't answer if I'm prying.:/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
So this has to do with Europe? It'll filter over here by Fall...that must be what they're getting at. :hu Makes sense. I guess i should make double sure we have the proper everything in the garden this year and ut more things away than I had previously, though this year we still have tomatoes. Looks like I have a reason to hold onto the tax moneys ;)