Mastitis in goats

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wasnt sure if this is where this should be posted, however I have a goat due to kid at the end of january and I am 99.5% sure she has mastitis in her left utter and tit. I am trying to clear this up before kidding. I have researched several different medications, mostly injectable in the tit and utter, I have heard that Dr jeffers and smith(I think) has an oral medication that can be givin while she is milking to prevent and cure mastitis , I cant seem to find a web site for them. Everything I have researched says you cant feed or drink the milk while on medications of this nature. My question is this; has anyone ever heard of such a medicine and/or know/have the name of it?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No, sorry. But I can tell you that dairymen in the know are now giving their dairy cows ACV daily to prevent mastitis and have found it works. Might try that in her water or even dose her directly with it via drench. If you used mother ACV, even better!

Another thing they've found that helps with this is to feed more hay and less grain feeds, increase iodine levels(kelp meal in the feed or mineral ration), good mineral supplements and emollients to the udder...some folks use essential oils in these emollients such as peppermint, tea tree and oregano.

D1

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thanks I read that while researching and believe me when I get it cured I will make sure to add it to her water