May as well start now

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? Southern Utah Zone 5
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status? 9, married
3. How would you define self sufficiency? Making what I need and use.
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed? I would be totally off the grid.
5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to? No
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet? No
7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient? SS inspired me to do more.
8 Cloth or paper? Paper
9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more? I grow and preserve almost everything we eat. I would
want to learn to install wind and solar generated power for my home.
10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient? #8 cloth
11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs? I already do.
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world? In the middle of nowhere.
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi? No but I can drive a forklift.
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these? Yes
15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds? Chickens and rabbits yes livestock no. I have chickens and rabbits
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood? No but I can learn.
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing? I love to garden. Tomatoes, peppers, corn, beans, ect.
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives? Yes bait
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country? Regular size city lot in a rural town plus a large 1/3 acre that belongs to a friend.
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL? ?
21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn? Growing canning and preserving.
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take? No idea.
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet? No
24. Are you interested in herbal medicine? Yes
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be? Washington state
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking? Not anymore.
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be? Me with super powers, hero but sometimes a villain if I'm feeling really irritated.
28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency? No
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs? Yes Yes Yes No and Yes
30. What was your MOS?
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs? Yes
32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient? Gardening
33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?
34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy? No but I want to.
35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England? Does the coconut have the husk on or off?
36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to? No, yes
37. In what do you trust? The Lord
38. Do you make things yourself to save money? All the time
39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending? Not really I have always been very frugal

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Glad you're finally starting a journal.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay! So glad you have started a journal :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
YAY, two years in..perfect time to start a journal ;) I'm just teasing...glad you're here and decided to start documenting your progress :woot

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
YAY, two years in..perfect time to start a journal ;) I'm just teasing...glad you're here and decided to start documenting your progress :woot
I can handle a good teasing. :D I was felling a little guilty about posting on other peoples journals when I didn't have one of my own.

Well it has been freezing here and I am working on the frozen pipes this morning. What a pain and the worst part is I should have left the tap dripping. I was just going to say how lucky I was that they didn't burst and while I was typing this post the pipes split and starting filling the kitchen with water. I'm yelling for hubs to turn off the main line and he forgot where it was located. I ran down to the basement and shut off the water and just now got the water mopped off of the floor. The only good thing that comes from my sunday morning is the laminate floor gets a good scrubbing. I hope its not ruined they don't take to a flood well at all and the floor is only a year and a half old. Took out the last floor which was a beautiful rustic maple hardwood due to the same old problem and put in the laminate because I thought it would suit my lifestyle better, it does but I still prefer the hardwood. Only other positive in this mini disaster is that we own a flooring store so if the floor got ruined DH can replace the affected section without too much trouble or expense. The plumber is going to cost more on a sunday and I have to run to work to haul water to take care of the animals . All in all it could have been worse but there goes my plans for my day off. The plumber is backed up for hours, so many people with the same issue. :(

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not a good way to start the day! Sorry for your troubles, but it sounds like you've got it under control.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Frankly I have never seen the point of these public Journals and tend to stay away unless there is a question raised or a subject that I might want to comment on. The ones that have hundreds of posts are just space fillers as far as I am concerned. My private journals run about 100 pages per year.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Maybe the point is to just get a hey there or chin up it's going to work out for you response . Or possibly some info on how to avoid the whole thing. I live in the high desert so dripping water all night is such a waste. I have never started a journal for anything so something new won't hurt. Filler perhaps but more importantly for me it's that feeling of friendship or kinship that I get when I read the journals.

It's funny how we are all creatures of habit, I started making breakfast and turned on the sink to wash up and no water, yep I knew that! but problem solved I had stocked up on baby wipes 9 months ago at 88 cents a pkg for a what if situation ( I don't have any babies around) because I read posts on SS.

Now would be a good time to ask the question. We will have to take off the siding on the house to try and fix once and for all our freezing problem. We have used the pipe insulator ( I think that what you call the stuff) grey foam that covers the pipe and the regular fiberglass batting but that didn't work. What about heat tape wrapping the pipe inside a wall is it safe?