MEAT BIRDS THREAD ~Plans, pics, pens, pluckers, processing! GRAPHIC!

Snowhunter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey Bee...I just wanted to stop in and apologize for "abandoning" my part in the thread here. Things got deep w/the landlord (think hip waders) and I just didn't have time to properly finish the birds out and they ended up happily free ranging (no extra forage and were perfectly healthy) till a couple had heat stroke (in the middle of July) and the rest were sold live.

I do hope to make another go with some once we get into the new place, using your fermented feed idea, especially with the cooler weather coming in the next couple months. Thats the plan, anyways..;)

ninny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you everyone! I will be looking at the poultry netting. Will it keep turkeys in? Had a thought of building a divided tractor with one side meaties the other the turkeys last night. It would have to move sideways I guess. Or a chicken duck combo followed by turkeys? I more then likely will just keep the small amount of hens and keep trying a new breed each year to see what works best for me. Sell the old layers or give them to 4Hers. I want the learning curve to be over when we get our own place again. Well, I'm off to look at that netting.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Snowhunter said:
Hey Bee...I just wanted to stop in and apologize for "abandoning" my part in the thread here. Things got deep w/the landlord (think hip waders) and I just didn't have time to properly finish the birds out and they ended up happily free ranging (no extra forage and were perfectly healthy) till a couple had heat stroke (in the middle of July) and the rest were sold live.

I do hope to make another go with some once we get into the new place, using your fermented feed idea, especially with the cooler weather coming in the next couple months. Thats the plan, anyways..;)
Hey, no worries....same thing happened here. I got sidetracked and so did my meatie project, so I had to process them all in a hurry before we had our family reunion out here and slam them in the freezer. No weighing, no finesse, no pics....just killing, stripping and storing. It was like a CX chop shop out here! :p

Maybe next year, God willing and the creek don't rise, we can put some more info on here and finish it out right, huh? :D