Meat birds

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Need your opinions on meat birds. Cornish x is out. I want to hatch my own from the stock I have.

What I got is buff Orpington hens and roo, Rhode island red hens and roo, some barred rock hens and a few mutts.

I have been hatching some black sex links and rir. But rir are kinda small. I'm looking at the buffs and rocks. I once seen a buff x barred rock. It looked like it had a big breast and would make an awesome meal.

What do you guys think I should do with what I have?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
why do I do these things to myself?:idunno

I know, I know -- I feel the same!!!!! As I wonder along with buying some of these chicks in my mind!! All enablers, you are!

So, there were some at my TSC -- SCORE on freebees, Bay!! -- and I will go there today and ask my buddy mgr for a discount. Selling slow. PLUS, like you, FEM, I gave a "chickens 101" chat to
a customer yesterday about layers/broilers, etc. My TSC is good but, he was shopping and talking, not yet with staff.

I'm not thrilled with chicks and the darned weather here....BUT can do it. At least as chicks they can stay penned and under lamps, giving me a week or so to get tractor ready.

CRAZY -- we are all just CRAZY!! What we go thru for decent food instead of eating the stuff sold in stores. It's a LOT of work. :old

Dani4Hedgies

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just found this thread so sorry I'm a bit "late" to the table but I spoke with Ralph over on Backyard Chickens about this exalt subject which he calls his "Trolls" which are self sustaining meat birds. His recipe is to start with Cornish Crosses, hold onto everyone until they reach mature age (though he watches very closely for bluish combs to appear which means the bird is having breathing problems and he culls them then). Once he has Crosses that have reach mature aged he pairs up his hens and cockerels and takes their pure eggs and hatches them. He then raises those up and pairs them with Rainbow Layers and then hatches those eggs out and those are his "new Trolls" self sustaining meat birds.

Since he is located in the upper north I decided to take his formula and try my hand at it as well though rather then rainbow layers I am going with original Brown Cornish, White Rocks, Naked Necks and an assortment of other "heavy" bred lines. I will start my flock from the chicks ( CC, C, WR, Heavy) receive from Meyers. (I have two pullet Naked necks already). I will be starting a thread following this project and how it turns out.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's like this......

Cornish Cross bra size.......44DD

Layer Breed bra size.........32AA

Yep... Your right about that. I raised Jumbo Cornish Cross Roos for the table - they were huge @ 9 weeks and deliciously juicy tender as broilers.

@ 9 weeks they are so big it's hard for them to walk. I kept water and food.on opposite sides of the pen so they had to get a little exercise.
IMG_20160531_085159.jpg

Their toes are just as long as my fingers. Huge bigs at 9 weeks old.
IMG_20160531_085254.jpg

Wings are also huge.
IMG_20160604_212639.jpg

Waste not want not... Peel the legs/toes (easy) for making the best chicken broth you ever tasted.
IMG_20160604_213616.jpg

They make a great looking bird for the oven rubbed ith olive oil and sprinkled with salt & pepper
IMG_20160612_184223018.jpg

Even better stuffed and ready to eat
IMG_20160612_210322070.jpg

It's all my wife and I can do to eat 1/2 a chicken. Notice how big the breast meat is - 44DD :)
IMG_20160612_212719885.jpg

Freeze the carcass & leftovers. When you get 3 or 4 carcasses make & pressure can delicious chicken soup. Save the bones from making soup to combine with legs to make awesome tasting chicken broth.

I fed them 21% meat bird 12 hours on 12 hours off and constant water mixed with 1 capful of Bragg's Organic ACV per gallon of water since day 1. I lost 2 birds due to piling. If it gets chilly at night they pile into a big ball, the poor bird on the bottom of the pile gets squished to death. Other than that they we're easy to raise and we'll worth the effort when you finally take that first bite.

Also wanted to add they are a lot easier to pluck than BOs are.

Here's a growth / feed rate chart. Both times I raised Jumbo Cronish Cross they we're pretty much spot on according to this chart.
rock-growth.jpg

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
1.99 is about average. I usually pay that for males but the hens grow slower and healthier so I don't mind raising hens either.
I'm ok with either...the roo's get crazy big! We usually free range ours after they're past brooding age so they don't generally break down. But, the ones that look like they're not as mobile are the ones we do first.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Handle the birds. Feather fluff can be deceiving. Yes, young roos and less growth = less meat. You will need to pen separately & feed out. Keep them away from the hens, roo X roo fights are enough without adding enticing hens to the game.:rolleyes:

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'll probably be getting mine from a small local hatchery/breeder. I'm really lucky to have such a place close by, they have a good selection so I haven't looked at any large hatcheries.

Latest posts