meat cow - cost/pound - adventures in feeding my family :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Actually, cows CAN eat moldy hay--due to the four stomachs, so finding hay for them would be relatively cheap. They guy we got our hay from, had a cut that got rained on, and he sold to to farmers for their cows--a huge round bale for $20. He knew we were wanting a cow, so he offered to bring one over--but we are not ready yet for a cow. the only thing for overwintering a cow would be to have them separate from the horses, obviously to keep them out of each others feed.

Go over and take a look at backyard cows--they have some ifo over there.

We are going to look at a dexter heifer next week. Our plan is to milk the cow, and if her calves are female, they get sold, if they are boys, we will keep for meat. Also, for slaughtering, they typically go by weight--not age.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Great info, glad you posted this. Certianly gives me something to think about!

What do you (or anyone else) know about raising cattle on *pasture* for beef? I keep thinking about it but really have no idea where to look for info and I don't even know enough about it to know if it's a possibility. (Like, how long does it take from when you buy a calf or whatever to when it's a reasonable slaughter weight, and does it need grain as well as pasture, and would just 1 be ok [with calm older horses] or would it be too lonely without a friend and if so isn't that a problem b/c there is no way we would have freezer space for *2* of them, etc etc etc)

Pat
Pat--we used to raise Belted Galloways. They were beautiful, great foragers and gave excellent meat with only a tiny bit of added corn (just because my husband wanted to treat them :) ). I believe they came originally (the breed, not our cattle) from Scotland so are acclimated to tough weather. If you don't have enough freezer space but want more than 1 for socialization, could you sell it to friends/family? We never had any trouble at all getting rid of our extras. I hate to admit this, but we're still finishing up some of the meat from our last one from 3 years ago and it is still delicious!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals

belted galloways---those are so pretty to me and I love that breed. if I get any more cattle those are what I am getting..something about that look!!!!

I got a new Boer buck to replace for new blood and he looks like a belted...LOL...I love his coloring.

just chatting...