Meat Grinder Recommendations

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Long story short, looking to purchase a meat grinder. Have looked online at Lehman's and Cabela's. I don't have a hard and fast budget, want something I can pass on to one of the kids.

The options are overwhelming

We often see expensive cuts of beef on sale that would make great ground beef. Plus, would prefer to manage the fat content.

Any recommendations or sage wisdom on selection?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DH has burned out 3 of the $60 - $100 meat grinders. They're loud and slow. He finally bought a sturdy one this year (after another one broke). It's amazingly heavy duty and super quiet. But pricey, $300ish. I'll take a pic of the package for you if you're interested. My kids (ages 5 and 13) are already discussing who will inherit it. :gig

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought one of those little attachments for my kitchenaid mixer back around 2002. We lived in an apartment then, so it was perfect for my needs and limited space. I only had our little 7 cu ft upright freezer for storage along with the space above the fridge. Had to be an upright because of space issues. The microwave lived on it. Kitchen was tiny.

I haven't actually ground much meat since we came out here. When we buy half a cow we get a lot of burger. I'm very good at hitting deals at the store or restaurant supply.

If I was making sausages or doing my own butchering, I'd definitely look for a good one.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought a cheap Oster plastic made meat grinder some 35+ years ago for $60. I still use it. I have loaned it out, it still runs so I keep using it. My only complaint is it is small and it takes FOREVER to get a large amount of meat ground.

Now that I know better, I would get a metal grinder with a larger capacity to make the work easier and go faster.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What do you use to shell and crack the corn?

Sheller
IMG_20201209_104517641.jpg

Grinder, it's heavy or I'm getting weak.
IMG_20201209_111429174.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Frequency/duration of use is a consideration. If it will take me longer to assemble/disassemble/clean than actual grinding time, I may be overpowering things. Lol. Lots of equipment not currently in stock....hmmmm

Fixit

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I to make do with a kitchen aid attachment. That said two friends have high dollared Cabels grinders and they say that it's best to have one heavy enought to grind the bones. They use them to make pet food for their dogs.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ive run just bones in the pressure cooker to get broth and soften the bones for the dogs. The pressure cooker gets used more for stuff like that for soup than most anything. Cheap chicken at the store becomes broth and dogfood here. Used to use the slow cooker. Id run it for a full day or more. Couple hours in the pressure cooker makes me happier.

I was making and using bone broth long before it was the cool thing.