"MEN" article about a family living off grid using wind power etc.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I wish, BBH! :D They have some mighty level land and mine is all on a slope. :p

Nice place, for sure. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all afford a windmill? That is my dream....to build my own strawbale/cob home, powered by wind and solar power and just work the land....how cool would that be?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was just reading that article....and I was so inspired..I wnet to E Bay, and ordered the book. :D I cant waite to get it!!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I wish, BBH! :D They have some mighty level land and mine is all on a slope. :p

Nice place, for sure. Wouldn't it be nice if we could all afford a windmill? That is my dream....to build my own strawbale/cob home, powered by wind and solar power and just work the land....how cool would that be?
When we went to visit Mo. in March we son tons of wind mills. The Amish had one on every well. They would use old milk truck tanks for their water storage. They had the tanks partially buried and the wind mill would pump water for it. Such a smart set up. But no electricity involved. Probably much cheaper to build.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Northern Colorado has an option to go wind power with your utilities.

It's a good state for solar and wind. We get a lot of sunshine, and the mountains funnel high winds all year round.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
while all this is super nice
best have a bank roll of cash

going off grid costs alot of money

those wind towers and interver boxes and battery store cages are not cheap in any way lol

so if ya want to live a certain way in life, spending all your extra money to go "off grid" makes me wonder.......for some, hey it is perfectly what you want and worth every penny into that "going off grid"

for me it isn't....I weighed the cost of solar and electric and my lifestyle at this age (nearing 49 in a week) so it sure isn't for me.

while I love reading these stories and life adventures of some, it sure doesn't equal what I want from life now :p

RockyToggRanch

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This article was awesome for me. I actually teared up at the end...it echos my situation in the making. I also ordered that book.