Mental health and preparedness

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
My wife and I were talking about the ups and downs we have been going through with the effects of this storm; water, electricity, internet, etc. We (the all encompassing we that prepare for things) prepare physically but how many are prepared emotionally for more than a day or two?

Emotional preparedness is something that we tend not to talk about much. Maybe we don't think about it or maybe we are afraid to talk about it. Emotional and mental (include spiritual if you are so inclined) preparedness is something that needs to be included in our preparedness plan.

We had probably 4 days without seeing the sun then the last two days have been foggy in the morning. Normally it wouldn't be a big deal but when you combine it with being without the modern conveniences we are used to it can become a serious problem.
short winter days, gray skies, no electricity to extend your day, and being without other things can contribute to depression.

So, stay active. Move around. Don't feel sorry for yourself. Bring in wood and keep the stove going. Gather snow and ice to melt. Get outside.

All easier said than done if you are suffering but I just wanted to bring something that tends to be disregarded to the forums.

funkychicken

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
That is so true about feeling "down" when an extended emergency arises...during Rita we went 17 days at our deer camp without the normal ammenities...we have a pretty close knit camp "family" and we all seemed to have the same idea of evacuating there to get out of harms way as much as possible...we have 4-5 families that all have property beside each other and while the usual folks in our "clan" were ok the extended families of some of those ended up going off on each other like crazy(between us we had over 40 people!) anyway I saw how circumstances changed people and took a good lesson from it...

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Hi dacjohns! We must be on the same wave length because I started a similar thread earlier today.
I think this should really be looked at for the whole SS package, otherwise we are might be unhappy slaves to frugality.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea dacs you are right. at some point you will feel "down" in an emergency situation. I think it is just natural. we are out of our element and if longer than 2-3 days I would get bored big time....not driving, no electricity, doing chores differently to handle them etc. etc.

I think it was ETR that said she would get bored also. I know I would too in any major emergency. And boredom can surely being a person down, down, down. There are only so many games to play, chores to do and then the "wait" for back to normal begins.

BUT I would make it I know that. I lost power for 6 days in an ice storm a few years back....BBrr....1 little kerosene heater but I made it. My poor fish didn't. I never thought the water in the tank would get so cold they died. Just didn't think of it for me trying to survive..LOL

We muttle through. People have been thru such hard times, I know we can make it thru winter storm problems.

I watched the Dust Bowl on discovery channel.....wow....10 years of dust flying. Unreal what those people went thru!!!!! So I think of true hard times and know that power coming back on in winter is just a few days away and I can make it! :)

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yep, it is having so many animals to care for that keeps me semi-sane, and forces me to be outside in all weather, which is a blessing during SADD season. Also a blessing during power outages and ice storms that keep us in.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I find it a way to reconnect with family, time to sort out things one doesn't usually take time to sort or clean, and time to catch up on my reading.....old mag issues, old favorite books, etc.

I think the pioneers would catch up on mending of clothing, harness and tools and time to tell stories or family history.

After living like this for nine years~with the potential for "boring" in our every day life~I realized that it prepared me for times like these. I can honestly say I've never been bored in my whole life when I am in my own home! I guess this is why I've always stressed to my children the importance of not growing dependent on "things" to help you sleep, to entertain you, to make you happy.

Due to this, I guess I have a leg up on most folks when it comes to preparing mentally for a lack of amenities....I lived it for a long time in a lot smaller home, with more people, who weren't as pleasant as those I live with now! :lol:

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Hi dacjohns! We must be on the same wave length because I started a similar thread earlier today.
I think this should really be looked at for the whole SS package, otherwise we are might be unhappy slaves to frugality.
Somehow I missed it. I will look for it and if appropriate I will request they be merged (if possible).

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Do to a heart attack 5 years ago, I do an intensive 1 hour cardio workout, 3 days a week. I do whatever it takes to get to the gym on those days! THAT and the fact that I KNOW we are prepared for just about anything, helps me keep my sanity:D

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
You know, dacjohns, that is something I never thought of doing but being prepared for the mental stress and strain is a very important part of preparing.
When the power went out for a couple of weeks, the first few days were physically hard- hauling water to the animals instead of turning on the hose. I had to haul water for the toilet and household use too, No power no running water. Lucky I have about 5000 gallons of storage. Digging out the battery lanterns, the grill and supplies for cooking. That kept me really busy at first. But I was not used to getting up and going to sleep with the sun. My whole comfortable routine was gone.

Also being a bit excited by the situation and trying to catch what went wrong, even down to no hot wire, was exhausting. I just couldn't settle down but ran out of energy.

So I think I will start thinking about long term down time- maybe make a list of chores needing done asap, things to be done long term, having the items needed for this change in living in one place rather than twenty, put my stash of puzzles where I will be reminded to use them, have my sewing basket and things needing repair where I use them in the evening. In otherwords organizing stuff so that I can switch to a different mode smoothly. With less chicken-with-head-cut-off wasted energy and not having so many missed needs rising up to add to the stress.