metal coat hangers

dwbonfire

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i have more metal coat hangers than i have any clue what to do with! every week my boyfriend gets more with his uniforms. they get thrown out because they dont even ask for them back to reuse them! so i finally thought, i have got to find a way to reuse them. i do not need them as coat hangers, so is there anything you can do with them to put to good use?!

thanks!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Save them and recycle them.

Marshmallow and hot dog sticks for the bonfire.

Drain pipe cleaner.

Tie a sock on one end and use them to sweep under the washer and dryer.

Ummmmm that's all i can think of right now :p There are lots of uses for them, so I'd save about 10 or so, and scrap metal the rest :)

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
havent done this yet...
but I have read...string vegies...eg brussel sprouts...
and hoop in a circle for the chickens...

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cut into about 8" lengths and bent, they make good fasteners for keeping netting down in the garden, holding temporary fencing in place on the ground, holding down shrub limbs to take root, etc. If you have to buy them, they cost quite a bit. They are hard for my wimpy hands to snip, tho. I do a few then my DH sees me, takes pity and does the rest.:hide

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We use them as "garden stakes" ALOT, as so lucky described!

They also make great "hoops" for using in the garden to cover young plants with sheets or row cover to protect them on cold nights.

I use them as extentions for hanging baskets/potted plants so that I can water them easier.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One of the thrift stores near me always has a sign up asking for donations of clothes hangers and grocery bags. Better than throwing them out :hu

PS :welcome

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Use them for making wreaths.

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You can use them to hang bird feeders. You can use them to bundle things; one on each end, twist to tighten and then hang from the hooks. I am thinking storage for garden hoses that normally end up in a tangled mess.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
stubbornhillfarm said:
You can use them to hang bird feeders. You can use them to bundle things; one on each end, twist to tighten and then hang from the hooks. I am thinking storage for garden hoses that normally end up in a tangled mess.
Since coat hangers are "mild steel" in their composition, people have used them (for many decades now) as welding rods when no other rods were handy.

In recent decades, most wire coat hangers have been coated with a varnish-like or plastic coating, to prevent rust forming on the surface of the coat hanger. This is a bit of a problem, because the coating amounts to an impurity in the "filler" that you're using the coat hanger wire for, when welding. So ideally, you'd either use some abrasive to get most of the coating off the wire, or look for uncoated coat hangers in the first place. There still are some of those uncoated ones around, but they're not the most common in my experience.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Recycling them for your own purposes is a great way to utilize some of them, as mentioned above, but dealing with the amount you have, I'd advise like a previous poster...donate to charity. Good metal coat hangers are hard to come by nowadays, so I like to keep some on hand for projects but one can only keep so many.