Methane!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Why isn't the world using methane as the main fuel source? We're always grabbing for renewable energy, and we have the technology, so why not?

I hope to have a methane distiller on my future farm one day.

I read "Self Sufficient" and they had instructions for one. Could you imagine your cows, chickens, and horses (and even yourself) producing the fuel that powers your house and car?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
They have been talking about it a lot over here. I think there is even a farm around here already doing this. Made the news a few days ago.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
They have been talking about it a lot over here. I think there is even a farm around here already doing this. Made the news a few days ago.
I am really excited about it. I hope to have quite the little farm with many animals, from cows, pigs, goats, and horses, to ducks, peafowl and chickens. I joke with hubby about owning a zoo.

Figure in all those animals, build our own methane distiller, or buy one. We could very well have all the fuel we need for the house and farm. And then, if you really wanted some homesteading independance, find a way to rig your vehicles to run off of methane. You could really be off the grid, that just tickles me to death.

Because you would collect all the waste, take the methane, and then use the leftovers to fertilize the land. My husband asked me today, where would you get enough crap? I said you remember when we went to the poultry farm to get fertilizer and they literally had a moutain of poo from the broiler houses? Yeah. That's like the never ending supply. Of course I figured on using our own farm's waste for the project.

I mean why not? You wouldn't put the distiller close to your house, where you could smell it or it'd blow up or some freak accident. You wouldn't have to pay the local power company to run telephone poles through your farm and then pay them by the month for energy. You have to do SOMETHING with your animal's waste anyway, so why not get the most out of it.

-Kim

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
big brown horse said:
I am really excited about it. I hope to have quite the little farm with many animals, from cows, pigs, goats, and horses, to ducks, peafowl and chickens. I joke with hubby about owning a zoo.

Figure in all those animals, build our own methane distiller, or buy one. We could very well have all the fuel we need for the house and farm. And then, if you really wanted some homesteading independance, find a way to rig your vehicles to run off of methane. You could really be off the grid, that just tickles me to death.

Because you would collect all the waste, take the methane, and then use the leftovers to fertilize the land. My husband asked me today, where would you get enough crap? I said you remember when we went to the poultry farm to get fertilizer and they literally had a moutain of poo from the broiler houses? Yeah. That's like the never ending supply. Of course I figured on using our own farm's waste for the project.

I mean why not? You wouldn't put the distiller close to your house, where you could smell it or it'd blow up or some freak accident. You wouldn't have to pay the local power company to run telephone poles through your farm and then pay them by the month for energy. You have to do SOMETHING with your animal's waste anyway, so why not get the most out of it.

-Kim
Yeah Kim, that sounds like a dream come true for me too! With all the animals I have around here I should be generating something from their exhaust! I have way more than I need for composting alone!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I saw a Dirty Jobs episode once on this. There was a farmer who produced his own methane to power stuff. Then he used the composted manure to make those little biodegradable flower posts. He had a great set up!!!

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
In Wisconsin it is used a lot on the dairy farms.
I'm just now catching on. :rolleyes:

A little slow to the party I guess.

I just wonder why we aren't using this on a larger scale? It'd be great to run my car off of poo, but wouldn't be much help if I was the only one in the area with it! Unless it were to go to a larger scale, it's be pointless for transportation, unless I knew I wasn't going to be far from home.

-Kim

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: Me too!

My nephew tells me they are now drilling for CO2 out in the oil fields. This was news to me...had never heard of it! Y'all?

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I feel so silly bringing it up now that I know it's already in use. :rolleyes:

I still think it sounds amazing. I mean how renewable can you get? In the self sufficient book it states that a single human can create enough methane in a day to boil 2/3 of a teapot and that a single cow can produce enough in a day to boil 5 teakettles. Doesn't seem like much, but multiply that by the number of people, cows, dogs, cats, chickens, turkeys, and pretty much any domesticated/captive animal and you have crazy amounts. Then consider in the landfills that have methane in them.

Talk about the ultimate recycling. Use it for fuel and then fertilize it.

Anything that eats, poops. That's pretty darn renewable to me. LOL