Method for humane chicken euthanasia?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever performed their own euthanasia on a sick chicken, that doesn't involve snapping its neck or a hatchet? I remember reading things on BYC but there being a lot of argument about it (antifreeze in a sealed container, or something similar). Anyone ideas? :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Is it a chick or a full grown chicken?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Full grown, about 2 1/2 years old.

(BTW, it was starter-fluid, not anti-freeze.)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't have any idea other than the ether for a full grown bird. It is pretty humane though on the larger birds.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That's alll I've been able to come up with too. Have you done it yourself, WBF? Or just read about it like I have?

BTW, your avatar is cute. :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
That's alll I've been able to come up with too. Have you done it yourself, WBF? Or just read about it like I have?

BTW, your avatar is cute. :)
I have fortunately never had to do it. All of our sick ones have recovered so far without suffering. We have yet to have to put one down due to necessity. We have had a few chicks we had to do, but not full grown birds. Chicks are easier to me, because there isn't the hesitation due to attachment with DD around. She is very sensitive with animals and gets attached fairly easily.

Thanks! That avie looks mischeivous and that's why I chose it :lol: I have no clue who that kid is but aint she a doll baby!? LOVE that look! :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you don't mind, send up a prayer that I have the strength to do this. I just sent DH to the auto parts store for the fluid. My stupid vet hasn't returned 2 calls & I just can't bear to watch her suffer any longer. :(

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
It is done. :hit
I am sorry for your loss. :hugs I know it is harder to do this than it is to "process" a bird for the table. Somehow, it feels different. :idunno
In the event that you don't have ether or chloroform or whatever, the cone and sharp knife is a humane way to do this. (I know it's done) but it probably won't be the last time you have to do it.

Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, Trim. It went as well as can be expected under the circumstances, but was still painful (for me, hopefully not for Koo-Koo). Usually when one of our animals dies after being sick, I feel a kind of relief...but not today. :( At least now I can say I can do it.

Latest posts