Microwaves, how evil are they?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The medical profession feel they are very evil....but they don't often discuss this. Supposedly denatures food. Not so good for you if you are exposed to the waves either. One doc I worked with had a spasm if he caught us waiting for our lunch to heat up and standing in front of the microwave.....he felt they were very dangerous.

I read once that microwaves were discovered by a guy who walked past an apparatus that produces these waves and his candy bar melted in its package, in his shirt pocket.

I would expect that they are pretty evil. :(

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
My mother feels the same way. She would microwave food, but wouldn't let us near it while it was "in session".

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Interesting, Bee. I have heard that you cannot microwave blood for transfusions, to re-heat it, because it would kill a person (denature the proteins). I read that a nurse found that out the hard way. I wasn't sure if this had really happened. I heard that in Russia/USSR/whatever it is called now, that people are not allowed to have microwaves? I don't know if that is true. Ours broke years ago and we have decided not to replace it. I squirm now when people turn on microwaves in my presence. LOL I just prefer to avoid them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My folks won't have one or get near one. I didn't have one for many years and finally got one in my mid-30s. We only use it rarely to reheat a bowl of soup thats gotten cold or such. I would venture to say that my micro gets used about once or twice a month. They use sooooo much electricity! :/ They also pull phantom loads of electricity, so mine is on a power bar that has to be turned on before we can use it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Interesting, Bee. I have heard that you cannot microwave blood for transfusions, to re-heat it, because it would kill a person (denature the proteins). I read that a nurse found that out the hard way. I wasn't sure if this had really happened. I heard that in Russia/USSR/whatever it is called now, that people are not allowed to have microwaves? I don't know if that is true. Ours broke years ago and we have decided not to replace it. I squirm now when people turn on microwaves in my presence. LOL I just prefer to avoid them.
It's Russia. When we were there we were only in a few different apartments and I never saw one. I didn't ask if they were allowed though. Most people were happy if they had working light bulbs in their hallways.
We have one. I sometimes use it to warm things. I don't like it to cook in. My father microwaves potatoes for his lunch sometimes. I hate the way they taste. I'd give mine up for the counter space but DH swears it's necessary. :/

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
LOL, my husband felt the same, but he is so cheap that once it broke it became a non-issue! :gig

Thanks for clearing that up. So we are calling it Russia again? I never pay attention to these political boundaries/nation state names until I actually need to refer to them in conversation and then I make a fool of myself. ;)

Very interesting . . . I didn't know microwaves required so much energy. Do you think re-heating on a stove takes less than a microwave? I would think a stove would take more. When we first had to do without the microwave we weren't sure whatever we would do without it. LOL But now we are used to not having one.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When mine breaks it will not be replaced. It was a request of my children's for when I was working and they were fending for themselves. :rolleyes:

Caught my youngest using it as a timer to make pasta one day! :barnie My timer is sometimes a little sticky and isn't reliable, so he put on some pasta to cook and put the micro on 9 min. I walked in to see this micro goin' to town and empty.......one mad mama, you can bet! :rant

I asked him whatever are clocks for if one cannot glance at them to see when to take the pasta off the stove? Kids...... :rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
LOL, Beekissed. That sounds like something my husband would do.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
Thanks for clearing that up. So we are calling it Russia again? I never pay attention to these political boundaries/nation state names until I actually need to refer to them in conversation and then I make a fool of myself. ;)
Yep, the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991. Russia is one country but I can't keep track of all the little countries that were once part of the USSR. I only know as much as do from having been there to adopt DS. That and watching the Olympics! ;)
I had a college roomate who used the microwave as a timer all the time. Drove me nuts!