Minor burns - What do you do?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Since I am using a wood burner now for heat and am ridiculously clumsy/stupid/inattentive around the thing, I burn myself nearly daily when I feed it sticks and coal. Anyone with experience with a wood burner knows that thing gets so hot, your skin turns pure white where it gets you!

My go to for minor burns like this is running a bit of cold water over the affected area for about 10 seconds or so, to take the initial sting out and cool the burn down. After that I find the pain stops quick enough and it heals in a few days. I used to hold it on ice on and off for an hour or so afterwards, but found that seems to prolong the discomfort.

What do you all do to treat/comfort small burns?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I cry. And whine. :lol

@sumi, are you burning your hands or wrists? Welding gloves are awesome for loading the wood furnace!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
On the rare occasion I burn myself that's pretty much all I do too. I pretty much never do that though- no woodstove here!

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sumi, I put my owie under cool water too.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Take it from someone that used to make glass beads (we're talking 1500F molten glass). After the cold water or ice, try dabbing the burn with lavender essential oil. Works better than aloe or any other remedy. You can also use it for sunburns by adding a few drops to a sprayer with cool water; shake and spray.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have used aloe since forever....'cause I'm a red head. In the summer, I use a spray bottle to apply often, if by chance I get burned. In the kitchen, same thing....or I dip the burned finger in a small bowl of aloe. Heals things right up.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I cry. And whine. :lol

@sumi, are you burning your hands or wrists? Welding gloves are awesome for loading the wood furnace!
Fingers mostly, though I bumped my arm against the door the other day and burnt it a bit. I have an oven glove handy that I use sometimes, but I clearly need to use it more (like, all the time!)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Honey works great at taking out the sting and reducing the healing time, while also reducing scar formation. I've used it on small~but deep~ burns several times with good results.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I have honey in the house… I use it in my smoothies.

Aloe, there is someone a friend of mine knows that sells aloe gel and other products. I must ask her to get me in touch with her, so I can get some.

Latest posts