mobile processing unit

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We decided to build this after years of trying to find a place to hang our deer to process them and now that we are doing chickens this has been a godsend. It was made from scrap 2x4s my hubby got at work. I think we spent less than $10 and that was for the pulley and eye bolts. We have a stretcher bar that we put the deer's legs on and then attach the bar to the rope on the pulley and hoist the deer up and then tie off the rope on a hook on one side. We have two hooks on either side in case we get a smaller deer that won't fit on the stretcher bar. We make a slit in the skin on the deer's heels and insert the bar or the hook into the slit and that secures the deer's legs open for skinning.

For chickens we made shelves to hold our knives and we just put a metal bar across the shelves....we actually could put two on there, we have the room. Then we put the chicken's feet around the bar and secure them together with a zip tie and they will hang in order for us to bleed them out. We are able to bleed out 6-8 birds at a time versus doing it in a killing cone one at a time. Cut the zip tie and finish processing the birds. We are able to lift the unit and move it anywhere we need around the property as needed. We attached a piece of rope threaded through leftover pvc pipe for handles. Just drill a hole and thread the rope through and tie a knot and the handle stays put. It is light enough for two of us to move. We put this together in about 45 minutes one saturday. Easy peasy!

100_2062.jpg

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like! :thumbsup
I could totally do that! And wouldn't have to worry about moving "permenant" stuff when they bulldoze my yard (eventually). We normally take them to mom's & pull them up on her metal framed, concrete floored porch. This would be much easier.
Thanks for posting!
Hmmmm, I wonder though. I doubt it would work for the "golfball" method Beekissed told me about. I'm eager to try that, since it seems so easy. The stand would be great for chickens at least.

Um, do they flop around? I've heard horror stories...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neat, but IMO, the pully system doesn't seem like it'd hold up to a medium or large buck. Could be totally wrong though!
We have two hooks in the basement... they tie ropes to the tendons, then the boyfriend picks up the deer and his brother puts the loops on the hooks. We'll have to get a pully system rigged up, since they really have to work when it comes to big bucks, lol.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Our deer here in Va are not like the deer in PA :lol:

The last one I killed was probably 150-160 lbs. No problems.
We also tend to kill more does than bucks....we're in it for the meat not the wall hangers.

Yes, the chickens flop around a bit but that is also the good thing about this unit, we can kill them in the edge of the woods or over our burn pile and let them bleed out on the leaves and then pick the whole thing up and bring it up by our shed to process them. Not much blood in the yard at all. If we do it over the burn pile then we just pile up the leaves and light it up!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cool :)

I've been reading all the info about killing cones for when I get a large number of chickens this spring.
I like this better though.
Thanks again :)

Chain hoists are your friend when it comes to lifting large animals :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, lol. In PA, you get the buck license with your general hunting license, then you have to mail in an application for a doe tag. This year I can only hunt a buck. :/
Anyways, I love the idea!