Money making ideas for our new homestead please!!!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You may still need to have your kitchen inspected etc.--you never know--unless you were to hold the classes in a commercial kitchen space like at a church (and not all have this designation, our church does but I know others do not). It's always best to proceed cautiously rather than have someone complain and get you in trouble!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Ditto to that. And if you haven't already, become an LLC. This is a good way to protect yourself on the off chance that someone gets hurt and sues you.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Ditto to that. And if you haven't already, become an LLC. This is a good way to protect yourself on the off chance that someone gets hurt and sues you.
I'm registering LLC in the next week or so. I've saved up money on egg and plant sales to do it. :)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
moolie said:
We added a "home business" rider to our home insurance, costs us an extra $75 per year. Covers business equipment, computer, inventory and "furniture" like shelving/desks etc. We were told it was a pretty standard rider, so I'm sure that most insurance companies can add something similar to what you already have. :) Of course they can however note it covers the equipment not liabiility for customers. my bookkeeper had this rider. She has a box outside the house where you can drop off papers but if we want to meet It will likely be a local resturant at times when they aren't busy. Some people go to H&R Block for tax help I go to Burger King! Deb's idea of a LLC [Limited Liability Corporation] is good but it doesn't prevent someone visiting your house from sueing BOTH you and the LLC for an accident casused by your house or grounds. The limit on a LLC is the assets of the corporation. there is no limit on the homeowner's libility.

However, anything dealing with food you will likely need other licensing from your municipality or county--the specifics vary widely in my area so I assume that is true everywhere else. No personal experience with the animal side of things, but again I'd check with your local authorities on the matter.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
moolie said:
We added a "home business" rider to our home insurance, costs us an extra $75 per year. Covers business equipment, computer, inventory and "furniture" like shelving/desks etc. We were told it was a pretty standard rider, so I'm sure that most insurance companies can add something similar to what you already have. :) Of course they can however note it covers the equipment not liabiility for customers. my bookkeeper had this rider. She has a box outside the house where you can drop off papers but if we want to meet It will likely be a local resturant at times when they aren't busy. Some people go to H&R Block for tax help I go to Burger King! Deb's idea of a LLC [Limited Liability Corporation] is good but it doesn't prevent someone visiting your house from sueing BOTH you and the LLC for an accident casused by your house or grounds. The limit on a LLC is the assets of the corporation. there is no limit on the homeowner's libility.

However, anything dealing with food you will likely need other licensing from your municipality or county--the specifics vary widely in my area so I assume that is true everywhere else. No personal experience with the animal side of things, but again I'd check with your local authorities on the matter.
Might be different here in Canada, but my rider also covers me for 2M liability for clients who meet me in my home, as well as when I work on location (in case someone trips over my equipment etc.).

Jubilee101.com

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
At craftcountdotcom you can find out what things are selling the best on ETSY. You can also go to the eBay advanced search feature page to find out what has actually sold on eBay . Just enter your search term in the search box at the top then scroll down the page a bit and you will find an option to search only the sold listings. Check that circle and then search. It will tell you what kind of items have actually sold so you know what type of crafts/items people are actually purchasing on eBay. A third way is to go on Amazon and search for a craft or item that you can produce from home and see how many reviews the items get and then possibly produce a similar one but be warned that once a product begins to do well on Amazon as determined by the quality of reviews it will usually begin to dominate so it can be harder to break into a successful product arena on Amazon but it can be done - high quality, kind words and great customer service help hugely. We also have a ton of FREE DIY info on our website that you can sift through to find projects that can be made at home and sold to others on eBay, ETSY, Amazon, etc... The site is free but we do require registration though and ask if you do find the site useful for you to please visit some of our sponsors. My username is the URL. Hope this helps,

Scott