More poop on litterboxes - grass clippings

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got on a binge again about the cats litterboxes. One cat would leave a poo present between the boxes unless we had a certain, pricey, litter. Agh. Then I read that you can use potting soil or dried grass clippings.

OH ya! For the past few days I have had a bit of potting soil in one litter box, the pine pellets in the other and some fresh grass sprinkled on both. I can't believe how well the grass clippings take care of the smell!! If it ever warms up and dries up around here, I'm going to dry a bunch of clippings and start storing them in some feed bags for next winter. I can use a bit garden soil, too. Someone had mentioned garden soil a long time ago, but I could still smell it. With the grass, no lingering smell.

Neighbor came over yesterday and asked if we booted the cats outside. :celebrate

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Interesting, that reminds me that when we give our chinchillas lots of hay to chew on it also deodorizes the cage, too. I would guess you could use hay or straw as well, if you have a source for that.
Nice to know!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like cats, but I hate cat poop. The last house cat I had, I put her litter box in the garage. That was her "outside". Sometimes she just liked hanging out in the garage and would meow at the door when she wanted back in. Now our SIL is allergic to cats, as well as a dear friend that is here often, so no cats. How can an animal so sweet smell so BAD? :sick

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Babies don't smell like roses if they have dirty nappies either.