Mulberry and what? Need ideas, please!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have mulberries setting on now, and this year I'm determined to get some to make....something.
I don't mind grazing on them, have had mulberry jam before, but DH isn't ...well, it's not his first choice.

So what other fruits have you combined with mulberries? Or what else can I do with them?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
What if you just wait to see what other berries are ripe and plentiful at the same time (or marooned in the freezer and really needing to get used up) and then mix them with the mulberries and ask your husband to taste it to see if he likes it; and if not then add more other berries.

Or, alternatively, make up something just with mulberries and eat it all yourself :)

Or, freeze them in relatively small amounts, or juice them (i.e. squish thru strainer or foodmill) and *then* freeze in relatively small amounts, and sneak into other fruit-product things (jam, jelly, pie, juice, smoothies, etc)

Chickens like them, in moderation, too.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
My mulberries don't make it far.If i can beat the birds and ants to them, i eat them all fresh, same as my figs...They are sooo good...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I would freeze the bulk of them and then wait for the strawberries, blueberries etc to come into season, then make a combo jam.

stepstephens2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have been looking around for something to do with my mulberries, as well. I found this recipe for Mulberry Liqueur online and plan on trying it this year.
It seems really simple.

4 cups clean/dry mulberries
4 cups brandy
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water

Put brandy and mulberries in a jar & cover. Seal and store in a sunny window for 2 months. After 2 months put sugar and water in a saucepan and heat until it dissolves. Pour sugar syrup into the liqueur, strain, & bottle.

I'm also thinking about making mulberry ice cream this year...

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I make jam and lots of it!

Mulberry Peach Jam
Mulberry Strawberry Jam
Triple Berry Jam.....mulberry, strawberry, raspberry

There's also mulberry wine. ;)

I also use mine to dye wool.

Mostly though, I have two children with purple feet for a good month when the season's right.

stepstephens2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I wanted to update this with one other thought... I made loquat mulberry jam today. I happen to have a loquat tree that makes a nice mess of everything at the same time the mulberries do... they seem to ripen in unison even though they are half an acre apart :) . So I decided they were trying to tell me they wanted to team up in a pot of jam... which interestingly tastes and looks identical to strawberry! So weird. Anyways, I was wondering if you ever decided what to do with the mulberries?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Now I don't know that I'm going to have enough mulberries to worry about it this year! I was just out checking the trees yesterday and they're a long way from being ready. A tree I transplanted (twig sized back then) is now the size of a bush, and it's just loaded. The huge, old tree? Nothing apparent. It's got all these weird little dry black thingies on it, so I wonder if our late frost got it.

The peach/mulberry jam sounds good. So does the mulberry liqueur. Okay, it all sounds good to me!

That was interesting about the loquat/mullberry jam. I wouldn't know a loquat if I saw one, but I've heard of them.

And did I welcome you to the SS forum yet? :D If you haven't introduced yourself over at the 'where are you' part of the forum, get to clicking!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't have access to mulberries but read a recipe in my favorite winemaking book called "Mulberry Revenge." It was so named because the mulberries from a neighbor's tree fall all over the author's property, so she put tarps down and made wine from the collected mulberries. You could also make a liqueur from them with vodka or 190 proof grain alcohol.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love mulberries. I make a muliberry pie that is good. I also make jam with them. I love the jam. I freeze a lot of them so I can have them for the holidays for pies.