mushrooms

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Zenbirder said:
Is anyone here growing their own mushrooms? I would really like to have a go at it, but need more info. Our climate is generally so dry that we rarely see any mushrooms in the wild. I am envious of those of you who can eat from the wild!
I saw a fellow this past year at a festival who had "shroom" logs for sale. Also was selling chainsaw blade oil that had spores in it,so one could make start their own shrooms at home.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my post is the exact same as KOxxx

store bought for me unless I grow them. I bought Tony a mushroom kit on the internet for portabella and they were FAB! We chatted about ****ake farming etc. but didn't do 'shrooms cause of time restraints.

Love them...I researched 'shrooms on the internet and they are SUPER DUPER FAB healthy for ya...so eat up but be safe :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
oh my, something i never thought about was to grow mushrooms! I would love to try growing some!

Puffballs, I remember my Aunt finding a puffball that was HUGE! She was going to fix it up for us to eat, but forgot, and it went bad, :(

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Puffballs---I am not sure what these are....when kids we used to step on puffball types and they spewed smoke and spores all over? Is this what you are talking about..LOL---well time for research on the internet again!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Puffballs---I am not sure what these are....when kids we used to step on puffball types and they spewed smoke and spores all over? Is this what you are talking about..LOL---well time for research on the internet again!
Yup, those are them... however you have to eat them younger, before the spores form, when they are still all solid and white all the way through inside.

And you need to slice them open to make sure it is not a small Amanita (etc) type mushroom - it needs to be TOTALLY solid inside to be a puffball, not lookin' like there is a small mushroom inside the outer layer.

Pretty tasty, sliced and fried with garlic. (Although of course, what isnt :p)

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow -lol- and to think I used to jump on those and squish out the smoke and we had seems like millions in the grass...LOL--remember Dad saying like, don't do that, they spread..LOL

I just never thought of them as food, more of a toy..HA HA
thanks for the info!

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've grown ****akes, I don't any more. For starters I don't like them very much. Also it was really hard to keep slugs out of them. I think that they were cheaper to grow than buy though. We used sawdust "globs" (or should I say blogs) that have been innoculated with mushroom spores.

If people on here are foraging their own mushrooms I, for one, would LOVE to some pic's. Pretty Please?