Mushy Canned Veggies

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow
Ok so we tried my newly canned carrots and green beans tonight for diner. I was very disappointed. The carrots were way soft and the green beans were just ok. I know I can't expect them to be perfect but I don't know if their worth the trouble.

My dh and I were discussing freezing vs canning and I tried to defend canning but at this point I would hate to ruin anymore of my dear veggies.

Any suggestions??? :idunno

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No suggestions from me, I'm with ya on the mush. I freeze veggies. I can meats, beans (dry kind), soups, chili, peanuts and such in the pressure canner. Oh, and spaghetti sauce and pizza sauce. When I make the canned soups, I lean towards carrots and collards since they hold up better. I've also done some puree'd type soups, so no one cares if the veggies are mush, they are supposed to be! Not my favorite type of soup, though, so I probably won't make them again, unless dh mentions it.

eta: There are plenty of things to can besides veggies! Fear not, you, too, will have a pantry full of gleaming jars.....

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll can some green beans because the kids LIKE them that way but other than that veggies need to be pickled, frozen, or dried as far as I'm concerned. This year I AM going to learn to make creamed corn though.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I hate frozen green beans. :rant Canned aren't much better. :tongue Hard to get really fresh ones in NE Ohio in dead of winter.... :barnie (Oh Oh, a light bulb just went on there..) This year I am trying dehydrating more green beans. We'll see how that goes..

Oh, and the light bulb - that was me asking myself why I'm not growing them in containers indoors throughout the winter. :idunno :D

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
:frow
Ok so we tried my newly canned carrots and green beans tonight for diner. I was very disappointed. The carrots were way soft and the green beans were just ok. I know I can't expect them to be perfect but I don't know if their worth the trouble.

My dh and I were discussing freezing vs canning and I tried to defend canning but at this point I would hate to ruin anymore of my dear veggies.

Any suggestions??? :idunno
If you put the carrots in the jar raw and then add HOT water to them adn then process them, they shouldn't be mushy. This is how I can my carrots and they have never come out mushy. I only process them for about 30 minutes for quarts and 20 for pints.

Also, this is just a thought, maybe you processed them to long. :idunno

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
keljonma, have you ever tried home frozen green beans. They are much different than the store bought kind. Much more flavorfull. I don't care for the store frozen green beans, taste like water. But my own frozen beans taste like green beans.
I only have a hot water bath canner, so there are many things I cannot can. I am hoping to get a pressure canner this year. I've been dropping hints all over the place, but so far no one has picked one up.

Acre of Blessings

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I am hoping to get a pressure canner this year. I've been dropping hints all over the place, but so far no one has picked one up.
If you got to Yard Sales.....ask if they have one, tell them that's what your looking for. I did this and got my Pressure Canner for only $3. I was like :ep :ya I use all the time.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have never canned carrots but my green beans have never turned out mushy. I use the raw pack method pints 20 min. quarts 25 mins.
But I will add, mushy to some is different than mushy for others. My boss likes his green beans cooked to what I call almost oatmeal mush. I like mine soft and tender, another guy I work with likes his still crispy. So he thinks mine are mushy.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Acre, I processed the length of time the book recommended. Raw pack with boiling water. I would have to check. I think it was 11 lbs for 30 min. That may explain the problem.

Farmer Denise, when you freeze your beans do the go in the freezer raw?

So for all you experienced canners, how much wiggle room is there on these canning times?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Tanks I am not sure about wiggle room, I would really hate to say.

What book are you using? My Ball book says 10lbs of pressure for 20min for pints and 25 for quarts. I am by no means an old hand at this so I have to consult the book for every little detail. I use a weighted guage canner and my only options are 5, 10 or 15 lbs.

ummmmm, :caf waiting to see what other answers you get.