Must be the time of year for gorey things......

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I wonder if that is how Halloween get its "theme'?

Anyway, it is time to send a couple of bucklings to freezer camp. I don't so it myslef- I take to the local meat processor.
However they usually won't grind the leftovers on goats because it is too little meat for their industrial meat grinder- hard to get through it without lots of waste.
I don't have a meat grinder- not even one on the mixer type things.
Has anyone else ground meat using like a food processor or something? I don't want anymore goat nuggests to chew on this year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I don't know about using a food processor...maybe someone with a Vitamix could tell us if it will grind up raw meat?

I use a meat grinder for our deer meat and it does a pretty good job. Its been a great investment, as I can grind up hot peppers in it for my hot pepper butter and such also. Makes processing a deer a pretty quick process for us! :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Many years ago, I bought a hand operated meat grinder--not a big investment, and it does work well, but it IS work. the next year, tried a food processor,---don't do it--it makes a mess!!!!

IMO an electric meat grinder is a very good investment. get one with the most powerful motor.

also, I send my meat chickens out, mainly b/c I have lots of themto do at one time, but deer, bear, moose etc--while big, is easy to do by yourself. I would imagine bucklings would be the same process. we take our meat off the bone for all big game.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you happen to be lucky and have a Kitchen Aid Mixer there is a meat grinder attachment that you can put on it. I think it is around $40.00 or you can get an Oster meat grinder for around $125.00. I have hand grinder that you can get cheap at auctions. I think I gave $5.00 for mine. You can buy a new one for around $25-$30. It is well worth the investment.
I told my kids I wanted an electric one for Christmas. LOL