My baby is covered in seed ticks!-revived-THEY'RE BACK

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We went outside earlier to feed and about an hour later I saw her scratching sores on herself and when I checked her her whole upper body and hair is covered in seed ticks! She is two and I picked as many off as I could with tweezers, but there is no way i can get them all! Is there anything I can do to make them turn loose or kill them? We always bathed with bleach to get them off, but that is not good idea with her. I am going to do a search to find anything too. I have no idea where she got into them at since she was with me and I didn't get any.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you mean....an animal baby? If not, this is more serious than it sounds! :p

I've never heard of an animal acquiring that many ticks at one time! And all the same size.....are there tick nests out there?

Anyone out there had experience with this sort of thing? :pop

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
When you say "seed" ticks, do you mean the baby ticks?

We were biking in a wild area once with the kids. My daughter got off to go the bathroom in the tall grass and came back out with literally dozens of ticks crawling all over her. I had never seen anything like it and never have since, thank goodness!

If they are not imbedded, just pick them off and crush them. If they are (which would be really fast!), then gently and slowly pull them out with tweezers perpendicular to the skin. Good luck!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Our Pyr had the same problem a few weeks ago. We bathed her several times with flea and tick shampoo, then combed her with a "nit" comb, and got a large number of the ticks off. We also gave her Benedryl (sp?). It took a few days for her to get to the point she wasn't miserable, but she's doing much better now.

Mark

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No, I meant my human baby, Savannah! I eventually doused her head with rubbing alcohol and they died and came off within about 15-30 min. thank goodness. Apparently somewhere in the yard we have a nest. The yard has not been kept at all until we moved here and there is still a lot of brush to be cut down. It's not high grass or anything, just woods edge. I held her and picked as many as I could with tweezers until she started kicking and screaming and then i couldn't get any more because I was pinching her instead of the ticks. And they were so tiny it was hard to catch them anyway, especially in her hair, which is really thick and curly. Last year in my sil's yard she got a tick on her back and two weeks later she got the bulls-eye rash and had to be tested for tick fever. She was negative for it though, but I have been paranoid ever since.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This has happen to us when the whole family went hiking last year. My kids are a little older so we were able to get them off by first brushing and picking them before they became imbedded. Then we showered and had to remove the rest with a tick remover. It is worth it to keep one of those plastic tweezer twist it models around. They don't usually pinch you. I have known some people to use masking tape or duct tape to remove many at a time. I hope this is an isolated incident for you!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
No, I meant my human baby, Savannah! .
Oh my! My apologies for not realizing that. I can't imagine a child having to go through that many tick bites. I feel for her. How is she doing?

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She's okay today. She stil has some red marks and scratches from the itching yesterday, but I will keep an eye on her for any sign of sickness in the next few weeks, but I think the ticks were just hatched and so hopefully would be too young to be carrying anything. Poor thing scratched sores on herself around her ears and the back of her head before I got them all off. I wonder if there is a safe way to kill ticks in the yard?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I keep hearing guinea hens to an amazing job at eating them all up! I hope to get some next spring. Fortunately, we don't notice much tick action after spring here, but I would like the guineas for squash and cucumber bugs. Poor baby :( We have a lot of Lyme disease here, and it's no fun at all either having it or worrying that your kids might develop it. Good luck to you and your baby.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Were they deer ticks? If so, it may not be the end of the problem. :( Did you save any of them?

For future reference, I've heard you can smother them in any kind of thick oil, like olive oil or mayonnaise and it will smother them and they back out of the flesh.