My Bank is being bought out!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We use National City bank, and it was just announced on the news that National City bank was bought out by PNC bank for 5 billion dollars!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I honestly don't know! I sure hope not! We just made a small deposit today, but I don't really keep a whole lot in there. Usually just enough to cover our bills.

PNC was approved government funding to buy out National City, which was considered a weaker bank. National City was denied government funding, which is why it was bought out.

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our bank, Washington Mutual, was bought out by JPMorgan Chase last month. So far it has been a total non-event. Absolutely no difference in our banking. Our direct deposits and automated bill payments have continued exactly as before. Our ATM card is exactly as before. The only difference I've seen so far is that our ATM card can be used at a lot more ATMs without incurring a fee.

I was sooooo nervous when our bank got taken over. I could have slept a lot better if I'd known how meaningless it would be to our family.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Banks buy out other banks all the time -- the place where my parents keep some of their accounts and their safe deposit box, b/c it is close by, has been through I think mom says something like 10 different ownerships and names in the past twenty years :p

Sometimes they change the terms of your account, or alter branch services or things like that, but it does not usually make any much difference to the consumer, AFAIK.

Pat

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Like P&Cabove said, I have had so many banks sold out from under me- mostly the only difference was that I was issued new checks with a different routing number at the banks expense. And a new terms and agreement statment whenever it was sent.

I got so tired of it that I found a bank that I think will never be sold- and it hasn't in 10 years.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
The published unemployment in Ohio is 7.2% for September vs 6.1% in the US for September. And we know those numbers only report people actually on unemployment.

National City Bank, founded in 1865, is the largest bank in Ohio and employs 8,000 people. Whenever there is a take-over or buy-out situation, people lose jobs.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp

Just be glad your bank was bought and not run into the ground! You will be fine for the time being.

I just opened a checking account at Chase (JPmorgan) today cause they sent me an invite stating they would pay me $100 if I did so. So that should be in my account in 10 days! 100 bucks for one hour of effort.

Then they gave me coupons to refer friends...If a friend uses a coupon to open an account they make $25 and I make $25. There is one for a business account that does the same for $50.

Any takers? It turned out to be a good deal for me cause our mortgage is with chase so that automatically moved me into their premier club but if you don't all you got to do is use their check card 6 times a month to avoid a monthly fee. I probably use my check card 20 times a month.

I don't know what you gotta do to get one of those $100 coupons in the mail. Maybe have a mortgage with them.