My bread looked "weird"

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, so I made the "bread in one hour" recipe for whole wheat bread. I took a sandwich for lunch today at work. My co-worker looked at it and said it looked weird.
Then, I also had some cottage cheese with homemade peach butter mixed in and she and my other co-worker were making fun of that too!:hit

I cant stand that.

By the way, she was saying that as she was eating her microwaved Stouffers "chicken" and mashed "potatoes".

I really dislike my job some days. Well, most days.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They won't be making fun of it when they can't afford a loaf of bread and you have some! I know some days it can really be difficult to be different.

DH and I have been talking about that lately. We are doing things and spending our money on things so that we can be more self sufficient while pretty much everyone else we know is spending their money on "fun" things. And they think we are weird for wanting to be more self sufficient when it is so much easier to run to the store and buy it. Well, things aren't looking good for the economy and we will be prepared.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I sometimes wonder what is different where I live from where so many of you live :lol:. People here (and otherwhere) so often write of other, non SS folk who make fun of, or are scared of, and consequently put down homemade or homegrown foods. I have never had that happen. Even those who would never dream of baking bread or raising chickens think that it is neat that I do, and are always happy for a sample. They might think I am a little weird for wanting to, but do agree that the results are better than storebought (just not necessarily so much better that they would want to do it :lol:) Am I just lucky?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It must be a girl thing. When I make sandwich rolls for dh to take in his lunch the guys at work are so jealous. My son was taking homemade yogurt to school in those little plastic cups. We would just put a bit of home made jam on top and he would mix it later in the day. The other boys were fascinated.

Those women are just jealous. :plbb

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, of COURSE it looked wierd to her!

It certainly wasn't completely consistent, bland, boring white bread, where every slice looks the same and no loaf can be differentiated from another, right?
Homemade bread has all sorts of ways it could turn out. You might have one big swirly bubble in one loaf and lots of little bubbles in another.
It's heritage, its heirloom, its handmade. Its not modern, microwaved, standardized, homogonized crud! Be proud of your wierd bread! Just be glad you can turn out a decent loaf :p

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
It must be a girl thing. When I make sandwich rolls for dh to take in his lunch the guys at work are so jealous. My son was taking homemade yogurt to school in those little plastic cups. We would just put a bit of home made jam on top and he would mix it later in the day. The other boys were fascinated.

Those women are just jealous. :plbb
There is a lot of truth to that statement.
Homemaking skills are looked down upon now.

Jen-pi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I guess I was just proud of my bread. Proud that I take the time to make it, on top of my full time job and everything else. She totally rained on my parade. Maybe Im just making a big deal out of nothing.

ORchick: Am I correct you are from Oregon? I have always dreamed of going there! Maybe there is a reason behind that...hmmm.

Have you ever just wanted to be surrounded with people who share the same interests that you do?
I often dream about a little community living together, sharing their skills and such with eachother.

Maybe I was meant to be Amish.
Idk, Im just rambling now.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jen-pi said:
I guess I was just proud of my bread. Proud that I take the time to make it, on top of my full time job and everything else. She totally rained on my parade. Maybe Im just making a big deal out of nothing.

ORchick: Am I correct you are from Oregon? I have always dreamed of going there! Maybe there is a reason behind that...hmmm.

Have you ever just wanted to be surrounded with people who share the same interests that you do?
I often dream about a little community living together, sharing their skills and such with eachother.

Yup, I'm in Oregon, but I don't know if that is the difference. It was the same when I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area. Very few of my friends or neighbours are inclined to go to the "trouble" of baking bread, for example, but always love it when I do. We had friends over for dinner the other evening. They have a huge garden, and so are not entirely *not SS*, and I know she is a good cook. But there was a little "wow" when I answered in the affirmative when she asked if I had made the chocolate sauce for dessert myself, and DH chimed in with "Oh, she makes just about everything from scratch" :lol:
Jen-pi - you should be proud of your bread, and other SS accomplishments. And no, you are not making a big deal out of nothing. I think people like your colleague feel they need to criticize because if you are made to look weird then it won't stand out so much that they can't do what you do. Just keep on doing what you do, and bask in the knowledge that you can care for your family in a way that she never could.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Jen-pi said:

LOL. I get teased about being an "Eskimo" (referring to my current attempt at tanning a hide with brains). And I've been told by several people that I was born in the wrong century. (They're right.)

And I sorta think SHTF could be the coolest bestest thing ever. Assuming that my rabbits continue breeding, that fish continue biting, that deer continue to be stupid, and that we have transportation down to my fiance's family farm.

I could *totally* go for a self-sufficient commune. Except not a commune. More like a barter community. I'll have the rabbits and sheep. You have the chickens and eggs. Someone else has the cows. Another processes wool and leather. Someone else hunts and fishes. Somebody else makes soaps. Somebody has medical training. It would have to be like 20 - 30 families, but it would be sweet. :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Jen-pi said:

LOL. I get teased about being an "Eskimo" (referring to my current attempt at tanning a hide with brains). And I've been told by several people that I was born in the wrong century. (They're right.)

And I sorta think SHTF could be the coolest bestest thing ever. Assuming that my rabbits continue breeding, that fish continue biting, that deer continue to be stupid, and that we have transportation down to my fiance's family farm.

I could *totally* go for a self-sufficient commune. Except not a commune. More like a barter community. I'll have the rabbits and sheep. You have the chickens and eggs. Someone else has the cows. Another processes wool and leather. Someone else hunts and fishes. Somebody else makes soaps. Somebody has medical training. It would have to be like 20 - 30 families, but it would be sweet. :)
What you are describing, is an Agrarian Society/community.
http://www.off-grid.net/off-off-grid-by-michael-bunker/
We would love to be part of one as well, but, we are very conservative Christians, and want that to be part of the community as well. FInding like minded others is hard enough, without adding in the spiritual side of things.