My chicken will not lay eggs

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I always thought that girly ducks were much louder than the boys. Am I wrong or is it dependent on the breed?
You are 100% correct on that. Some breeds are louder than others though. The worst I have had so far is a buff. I got rid of her but have her daughter. It's the one I am waiting on to start laying. Here is the slacker...

1003460.jpg

If she was a boy, her head would be green and she wouldn't be such a big mouth :D

As for mallards, many states require permits to raise them. The also fly and have to have either special housing, wing clipping or pinioning. They are also seasonal layers. Not year round layers like khakis, runners, or welsh harlequins.

That being said, there are a mallard fans on BYC and quite a few people who ended up rescuing abandoned or injured mallards.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
She is beautiful...for a slacker ;)

I guess I just have a special place in my heart for Mallards. Ours never really flew any where, they were pretty content to lounge and forage for bugs.

I hope your pretty girls starts laying soon!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Not only is she a cute little slacker, she is a total water bowl hog as you can see in that picture :D

Uno could start laying any day now. She is about 20 weeks. The three Welsh Harlequin girls could start laying by the end of September. Here is one of the girls and my new drake. He is about a month younger than the girls.

1003478a.jpg

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to say, my Buff Orpington Ducks are awful loud! ... Those girls quack quack quack (sometimes angry sounding LOL when I haven't let them out in the morning early enough) all darn day and so very loudly too!

I just LOVE it, the goats were rather shocked at the sound when we got them though haha.