My Dream... A Yurt!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So since the last couple of days I have been home tending my husband. He had a little surgery yesterday. That's a whole nother story. I have been hanging on the computer and receieved an e mail from Colorado Yurts. I visit their web site quite often planning my dream home.

I would love to live in a Yurt. We stayed in one outside Yosemite Valley several years ago and I absolutely loved it. So, since then I have told my husband that some day I would love to live in one. Maybe a little compound of Yurts with a courtyard in the middle. On some rolling acres out in the middle of the countryside. I figure one main yurt 30ft in diameter for family room, kitchen and bathroom then off an attached hall we can add two sixteen footers for bedrooms. I even have my floor plans drawn. My husband thinks I have an illness. :D

For thse of you who are unfamiliar with yurts they originate in the Mongolian culture I believe. It's kinda a canvase walled tent like structure with lattice walls. Of course the modern yurt is equiped with all types of modern technologies. Insulation, opening sky domes and beautiful french doors. They have taller walls and can be upgraded with stove pipes and to handle snow loads.

So anyways, as I sit here day dreaming and looking at all the options. I thought I would see if any of you actually lived in one? First hand expierence is allways best. Anyone?? I think the Yurts go well with the SS lifestyle. Allowing one to build in remote areas and be close to the outdoors. Anyways, Just wondering. Gina

Edit... By the way Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!

vrudiea

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I don't live in a Yurt, but my neighbor has one. He used to live in it, but when he got divorced, the court wouldn't let him have custody of his children until he moved out of the Yurt. They said it was unsuitable for kids, which IMO is absurd. He had to move into an apartment and only visits the Yurt once in a while :( The Yurt seems to handle all the crazy weather we have in the mountains very well.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I figured no one had any idea what I was talking about. I feel for your friend. The decision seem a little rough. The yurts are wonderful.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have looked up yurts online, checked into them a bit, and seen ads in mother earth news plugging yurts.

as a main residence? I don't know. never been in one.

did you price them? any idea what price would be on the plans you like? just wondering on cost?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A 30ft diameter Yurt with some extra bells and whistles runs aobut 15k. A 30 footer is huge. The one we stayed in ner Yosemite was I think 20 or 24ft. I think the actual cost relates to what else you add to it. As a permanent residence I think I would want some added features. I want it on a big old deck. Radiant floor heat, large kitchen area, wood floors. Really nice wood burning stove. Then there are the two yurts I want to add for bedrooms. :)
My husband did point out last nigh that a manufactured home would in the end cost less. But I really would like to live in a yurt. I just loved the feel. Maybe if I ever win the lottery I can just stick one out in my yard. Who knows, a girl can dream right.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I hear ya on wanting that "something different" to live in. I am like that. I would love a really old farmhouse to remodel a bit, but want that feeling.

Yes I think the same. A manufactured home would probably cost less and you would get "more home" I think....but it would certainly lose the feel that you are wanting.

that price is not unreasonable at all. even with 2 side bedrooms it would come in decent for the space.....hmm...I take it hubby ain't into yurts..HA HA

I think Tony wouldn't want one either. I have checked into them and they just look so inviting!

yea we sure can dream! :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No the husband thinks I am nuts. But we have a ton of history in this home we have now. We purchase our property. Lived in the old home, tore itdown and built new. We lived in a camper on the property with our 1 year old during construction. It was quite an adventure. The house is big, and beatuiful. But, 3 kids later and some major eye awakening life issues and expierences. I have realized this is not where I want to be forever. I have been chipping away at my DH for ever and with the economy the way it is and the cost of living in So Cal he is starting to sway.:).

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW that is alot of history in your current home!
and alot of work to achieve what you "then" dreamed for...LOL...dreams change. Life is an ever changing critter, if we allow change to happen.

don't take this wrong....but don't hubbys and others slow us down. LOL---even my hubby. He blocks me when I just "want to up and do"---LOL---we always must consider that other person. If I were single, wow, there is no telling what I would be living in, or doing or travel or this or that......I wouldn't not want my hubby, but just gagging him and telling him to come along for the ride some days would be wonderful..HA HA...as much as we do think alike, so many things we don't. But I guess he balances me out. Keeps me from going hog wild in crazy endeavors.

Just living in the cookie cutter house seems blah some days.....but then again, it is only a house. The life we lead in it is more important I guess. A shell to keep us dry.

I seen shows on crazy houses, from tree houses, to round homes, to yurts, to caves, etc. etc. It is wild how some people just jump into their imagination and do what they want....hmm...now I am wanting a change..HA HA HA

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hey Tank...where would you build your yurt? Would you stay in the same area?

By the way my DH was up in your neck of the woods answering a Craigslist ad for free fire wood. Made the drive up met the guys at the house and got really creeped out, scared actually. They had him park and go way back into the property with a wheelbarrow to get what was supposed to be enough wood to fill our truck 10 times over (their words) and found a pile of sticks and a few chunks of wood....realized that he could be the victim in a bad murder movie and told them he needed to go home to get his chainsaw :p he hightailed it out of there quick...bought a load of wood on him way home :rolleyes:

Ahywho...I would be worried about the safety aspect....no locking doors!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I think yurts are cool too. I first saw one on a TV show where Julia Roberts was hanging around with people in Mongolia. She talked a lot about the yurt she stayed in. Now that I look at the website it calls it a "ger". I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not. Hmmmm:
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/epis...ongolia-with-julia-roberts/introduction/2887/
Oh here we go, I'm not nuts!
http://www.mongolyurt.com/
My DH would love to build a geodesic dome.
This is a house we used to drive by when visiting my grandparenst in Upstate NY when I was kid. It was the talk of the town!
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM1AHN