Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
A place to show what we are working on now, put up pictures, vid or whatever of what we are doing on the homestead or off of it.

My project today is to fashion a garden gate to fit the arbor I'm putting up at the entrance to my son's little BTE garden in town. I've got the arbor posts cemented in and just need to add this gate, a few embellishments to the top and some wire for the vines to climb and arch over the gate. This season we'll plant beans and cukes over that arbor but will likely place a clematis or honeysuckle there in the fall.

Will post pics of the gate later on...nothing fancy at all, mostly just a functional little gate we'll stain later on.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
It's not the most beautiful...I've seen WAY prettier outhouses. But it's FAR better than what we had!

Before....

file.php

file.php

After....

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

The magazine rack was $3 at Good Will, the sign was a buck from the same place, as was the tot toilet seat at $5. The miniature crate~now a book holder~ was also from GW for a dollar.

The window screens were from the Habitat store for a dollar each, the screen door was an old one that has been in my brother's basement, belonging to his house built in the early 1900s. I left the original finish and hardware on it. The back window was a screen from his old house as well.

The foundation was from reclaimed treated 4x4s, the tin on the roof left over from roofing the house. The TP holder was just reused from the old commode, with a fresh coat of paint.

The paints used were also here and already on hand, so if you are wondering why I used those colors it was because we had them. The house has the same exterior colors of brown and red, while the yellow is paint left over from our kitchen cabinets, the celery green from a refurbishing project.

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've been following along with this whole conversation. I'm really looking forward to seeing if this works for you. I love seeing a project through from original problem to eventual solution! I'm glad you shared your conversation with us. (It's almost like being on an old fashioned telephone party line!) :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Next project is one we didn't choose. The old bathtub in our most used bathroom has a corroded drain and then developed a crack leading off from the drain area....then leaking under the tub and onto the floors, etc.

So, going today to order a tub and fixings from Lowe's and will put in a new one ASAP. Mom's an excellent plumber, so I'll merely assist and learn so that one day, maybe, when I grow up, I can be more like her. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Side note on the bedroom revamp...I'm STILL loving this room makeover and thank God over and over for how lovely it is to go to that room at any given time of the day and be greeted with the cheerful colors, the dancing rainbows that even extend out into the hallway and the restful organization of it all.

It's the easiest room to keep clean that I've ever owned...everything has a place and it's easy to keep it in that place, particularly when putting away laundry or coming back from a trip. The added space makes it easier to move around in that room for all these things as well.

I'm loving the additional wall hooks for my clothing I'm currently using~I usually have a few outfits that I'm changing out throughout any given day, such as good clothes, to work clothing, to nightgown, etc. It gives the clothing time to air out overnight or during the day, way better than when I tossed them onto the old rocking chair.

The curtains keep out the heat of the afternoon sun and also give just the right glow to the room when they are closed....much better than roll blinds and such.

Really am loving the bookcase headboard also...so very versatile!

So, months after the redo, I'm still rejoicing over the changes and getting such better use of the room.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Folks, it's time for a new DIY project.....I can feel it comin' on. The back of my log shed is a T total MESS. It's where I throw lumber and scraps against the wall and hope they stick. It's also where various things are lying, leaning or stuck to the wall. There's an old set of cabinets that my Dad used for storage of some things...not sure why, but it needs to come DOWN.

I need a more organized and accessible lumber and scraps storage, tool storage, plywood storage, T post storage and I need to build it out of things I have on hand. What I have on hand are mostly scraps of lumber, things that can't be used for much of anything else but scrapping together some kind of DIY project.

I looked online and got a few glimmers of ideas, though nothing I saw suited my purpose, abilities or the space fully. Most were very complex, involving a lot of wood shop machinery and an actual skill set. My skill set includes using a level, drill and~crudely~a circular saw. That's about it....I've never evolved much from that kind of construction.

So, it's time for before and after pics, a lot of adjusted expectations, and, finally, hopefully, something more functional, less dangerous and better to look upon. I hope to implement mostly pallet scraps of various kinds to produce something sturdy and accessible, but not too awfully ugly. It will be "rusty", as Aliza would say(rustic, you know), but that will match the shed, so that's perfect.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
@MoonShadows you can post some things here too! :) You got so many lovely projects on the go all the time… I want to go kidnap you for when I get my own place, you can come help me there.

I usually post my DIY's in a dedicated thread...Sumi, I would love to spend some time in Ireland. I come cheap and I'm housebroken! :p