My son got a doe!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My son finally got a deer today. He got a doe, still has his antlered tag to go. Ohhhh, roast, chops, tips, bologna......:drool I told him the other week I said a little prayer when I bought ground beef....I hate buying beef at the grocery store.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
WOOHOO!! Congrats to your DS! How old is he?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
congrats to your son!
good shooting and good eating!
you sound more excited than he is..LOL
cool!!!!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Awesome....full freezer for you! I really wish my men were hunters...but they are snowmobilers instead...
Hehe...you need to hide the snowmobile keys and say "Once my freezer is full you can have your key back!!":lol:

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
dixiefreedom said:
never had deer bologna before whats it like?
Total YUM!! The friend of ours that just gave us deer meat gave us four big logs! We call it Trail Bologna here.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
MorelCabin said:
Awesome....full freezer for you! I really wish my men were hunters...but they are snowmobilers instead...
Hehe...you need to hide the snowmobile keys and say "Once my freezer is full you can have your key back!!":lol:
I don't think that would go over well...I watched DH try and shoot a partridge that was right outside the door one day...my guy is definitely not going to ever get his keys back if I do that:>)

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
PamsPride said:
MorelCabin said:
I don't think that would go over well...I watched DH try and shoot a partridge that was right outside the door one day...my guy is definitely not going to ever get his keys back if I do that:>)
LOL!! You may have to start going hunting yourself!! I would shoot a deer way before my DH would!! I am not even sure my DH has even shot a gun very much. I am the one that has to shoot everything that gets into my garden and coop! 13 yo is totally into hunting right now though! Thankfully the neighbor has been super kind and has taken him!!

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
He's 17, my dad started counting the days till he could hunt when he was born. Us girls didnt go out but I want to next year. He goes for archery too but with harvesting on the farm he didnt get out much this year. He's always been a natural especially with the bow. My dad had a big second farm a few miles away that was always a great spot to hunt, he sold it a few years ago but retained hunting rights, thats where this one came from. With bologna it all depends how its made. My family always butchers their own deer but sends the meat out to have bologna made. We ate half a stick (about 12") just tonight from what my dad already had made.