My SS Journey

Chelsea2258

Power Conserver
Reaction score
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
Right now I'm in North Carolina and it's really hit out all the time lol. I'm from Michigan though and will be moving back there very soon!
2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
I'm married. DH and I have a son who is 18 months old.
3. How would you define self sufficiency?
Being able to get everything you need from yourself. Homesteading. Being self reliant.
4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
But a farm and live my dream.
5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to?
Does sims count?:gigI haven't built a house but I have built smaller buildings and I help finish my moms addition to her house (drywall and whatnot)
6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
Nope.
7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
Living paycheck to paycheck for the last few years defiantly inspires me to be more self sufficient.
8 Cloth or paper?
Cloth
9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
Now: cloth diapers/menstrual pads, meals from scratch, try to replace disposable things with reusable.
Later: gardening, chickens, goats, canning, compost, wood stove (for heating and put water, rising bread, ect, on), also growing wheat to make my own flour.
10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?
Cloth toilet paper, hand washing cloths if I don't have to, probably some other stuff that I can't think of.
11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
Yes. I don't ever want to need for food.
12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
Sitting outside enjoying nature. Which I can't do here because we are in base housing and there isn't really any nature!
13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
I can drive a tractor.
14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I can make cloth diapers and cloth pads. I would if someone wanted to learn.
15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
No but I'll be able to have it where we move to.
16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
No.
17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I haven't had a garden since I helped my mom when I was younger. I would like to grow all the fruits and veggies my family would eat.
18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
My DH does. Bait.
19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
Right now we are on just enough land for the house to sit on. Military housing (rent?). City. When we move we will hopefully own about 10 acres in the country.
20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?
Huh?...No?
21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
Don't have one but I would like t be a great gardener some day.
22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
Umm..not sure. I don't really like school.
23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
I don't currently but I have helped my mom with projects in the past and could probably do it myself.
24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
If its something simple, then sure.
25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Anyplace? Italy.
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
I will in the future.
27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
A super hero that could reverse time so we could all live simpler lives....with the epidural still available in hospitals. :lol:
28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?
They are to a extent.
29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?
All of the above.
30. What was your MOS?
Huh? My Dh's is Motor T if you're talking military.
31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
Not yet but we are planning to.
32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
Patience. I'm also a quick learner.
33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?
Not sure. Depends on my mood.
34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
We do have one on our base house but no future plans of using them.
35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?
Who comes up with these questions?
36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
No. Yes.
37. In what do you trust?
Nature.
38. Do you make things yourself to save money?
Yes.
39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
My attitude hasn't changed but that's because Ive always been a money saver and always trying to cut down.

I finished it! Yay! :woot

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are in the right place to get help in learning all about the things you listed that you want to learn about. Friendly people here who love to share what they know and help others!

Chelsea2258

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You are in the right place to get help in learning all about the things you listed that you want to learn about. Friendly people here who love to share what they know and help others!
I have been lurking for about a week and have learned a lot already!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The only trouble is, you see what everyone else is doing and you end up going "Waaah! I want to do that too!"

Chelsea2258

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So today the DH got word that his early out package was approved! His new out date is June 20th but he's putting in for terminal leave which means we'll probably be moving back to Michigan in the beginning if June. So 2-3 weeks! I better get packing! We are moving into his parents basement (which is like a 2 bedroom apartment without a kitchen) until we find steady income and enough income to buy a house. We have had the same house in mind for 2 months now and the realtor knows we are interested so hopefully everything will go quickly and everything will be okay with the inspection for the house (if we get that far). We still have to look at it but we are pretty sure that, if nothing is seriously wrong with it, we are going to get it. It's nothing too spectacular but we really like it. It's a 3 bed 1 1/2 bath house on 10 acres. Has a attached 2 car garage and a detached 2 car garage. Well that's my update. Got to go to bed!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
House on 10 acres! That sounds fantastic! You can always make it what you want it to be--your HOME. I hope every thing works out for you!

Latest posts