My Vegetable Garden Sucks!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Rabbit poop is one of the few things you can put on without composting. As for the DE, it will just kill the bad bugs. I would go for it :D

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yeah I would say it sounds like some of ya'll are just doing too much. Fertilizing ALL the time can be a bad thing.

I live in OH where we have really crappy clay soil, but we hardly fertilize at all. We don't always have the best results but I'd say leaving it alone can do a lot.

Just keep it weeded and forget the rest.....:cool:

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Lady Henevere said:
My garden sucks too. I have planted a lot of new fruit trees/bushes/vines this year and nothing died yet (well, except an almond tree that never leafed out), but nothing has produced much either. I'm okay with that, and willing to be patient and wait for them to get bigger to produce more. But the vegetables -- forget it. All the squash has powdery mildew, I have a few green tomatoes on tiny plants that have refused to grow, a handful of dry beans made up my entire crop, and the herbs I planted just sort of never happened. At least I know I'm in good company! :lol:

Does anyone know if I can put rabbit poop directly around plants (as opposed to composting first)? Does it matter if it's been sprinkled with DE? Thanks.
Alpaca/llama poop can be added directly to the soil without composting too!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I feel ya on the "sucky garden" thing. Last year we'd just moved and got married, so the garden was thrown together in a hurry. This year I had more time, but it was an AWFUL spring...HOT and dry!!! Now we're starting to get some rain, but its' still so hot and I dont' feel like going out there to weed! Needless to say, the weeds are taking over and I get so frustrated! :barnie Next year I'd like to invest in some plastic and irrigation so I don't have to worry about the weeds!

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year. Of course we have a pseudo green house. Otherwise the hail would have taken them all out. Wife and I both had surgery around planting time so we are lucky to even have a garden.