Mysterious lurkers on the SS forum

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They're doing things unseen... just below the radar, so to speak. But I can tell by the evidence.

How do I know? I started a thread titled "Upcycled/repurposed projects". It's in the DIY section, and is about re-using materials, parts, items, and components in practial ways. To make useful set-ups, devices, buildings, machines... whatever. Examples of how people use imagination, skills, know-how, and will power.

Well, the number of replies from people who are known members here on SS has not been so large. But the number of views has been. I remember being astonished when the number of views reached 9000 in less than a year, and now it's just over 14,000. Whoa!

Mind you, nothing wrong with lurkers.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Pretty normal on any public forum I've ever been a member of :)

In addition to the thread views, there are "members" here who have only joined in order to send someone (me in at least 3 instances) private messages asking for further information on something I've posted.

I usually reply with a bit more info and a cheery request that they join in on the conversation in the thread, but not one of the 3 of them has ever taken me up on that :(

I've never heard from any of them again after my reply to their initial question. :(

On another forum I belong to, this is considered the height of rudeness when it comes to online discussion boards--a definite step beyond "lurking to glean information", taking without contributing. It kills forums. So that one became a private forum with a public portal, but no thread reading access to non-members.

But I've always hopeful when I've received one of those messages that because of the interest they will stick around. And sad that they haven't.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well this forum is not friendly to people that hold different world views. I am not sure just how many points away I currently am from being thrown out for disagreeing with the party line. I can cite facts to support my views. I think I if I say more I will be gone again.....

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Moolie, I never thought about the fact that a person can join, then send a PM to a member, then get the member's e-mail address when they answer. Being the slightly paranoid hermit that I am, I don't think I would even answer anyone's PM if they were a brand new member. They would need some "street cred" first.
Furthermore, I don't even think this is something that should be allowed on the forum. Maybe a new member should have to post 10 times before being allowed to send PMs, like with photo posts. Am I just being too paranoid?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't think it's about toeing the line so to speak as much as it is being abrasive. Most of us have conflicting veiws in some way or other, and again, most of us can get along well with everyone else.

Never thought of the PM system that way, not that I care really, but it is a bit weird :hu

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If someone googles a certain topic, they are often lead to one of our threads. I started one on herbal studies over the summer (which I need to get back to soon....Momma died and things have been crazy) and apparently someone was considering taking the plunge and studying it, and they were lead to the forum from a google search and joined us. I don't recall her PMing me, but if she did she only asked about the costs, name of school, etc....but may have done that on the open forum.
You are right though. The amount of views are huge compared to the responses. A few people have suggested that I may not want to say all that I'm up to online.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've often thought that as well. After all, you never know if Big Brother is on here.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
And not just Big Brother. If a person mentions that they collect coins, or just bought a new--whatever--a devious person might be able to find them. Over on TEG they have a google earth map of where members live, if a member adds their location. That kinda freaks me out. I know, I am way too cautious. I'm not even on facebook.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I've often thought that as well. After all, you never know if Big Brother is on here.
I hadn't thought of it this way. When I mentioned "mysterious lurkers... doing things unseen... just below the radar, so to speak," I was joking.

I mean it's obvious the lurkers are there, due to what I mentioned in my OP - but like moolie, in post #2, I just thought of them as non-participants. Reading things, but maybe not becoming members or posting anything.