Name that game... bird?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got these cute little birds and I have no idea what they are. I have googled till my head hurts and still can't find anything. Anyone got any ideas?
1736_dscf0890.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The coloring around their necks and backs reminds me of my Americaunas(sp). Perhaps they are a cross of that and a red of some type?

Not sure. :idunno

g

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
They kinda have brown leghorn like coloring, but the green legs and tiny combs suggest Ameracauna mutts. Not sure. Are they standard size or bantam? They are pretty.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm with Tanks. They look just like my Americauna (Easter Egger, whatever :p ). I named her Turkish.
Golden/Bronze feathers tipped with blueish gray, blue-gray tail & golden/bronze head & neck. Grayish-green legs, right?

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wait, they are chickens? They are really small. The tupperware in the pic is a two cup container, just to give perspective on size. They have not grown at all in a month. They were given to us with the only description being 'Game Birds"

noobiechickenlady, the pic really faded their coloring. Its dull and raining out, but yeah.. thats exactly what they look like.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
They could be banties. Or really young seeing how they have no color where a comb should be. My EE Ginger has that same coloring but she is much smaller than my standards.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Definitely chickens. "Game birds" is likely to mean as in Old English Game (bantam or standard), or Modern Game, or that kind of usage -- i.e. a suite of small light-bodied feisty chicken breeds.

Those SEEM hen-colored yet pretty darn near combless, so they are either dubbed hens (i.e. hens whose combs have been cut off) or a mutt cross that has a pea or other minimal-style comb. You should be able to tell by inspection whether they're dubbed or naturally pea-combed.

Pat

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It never occurred to me that they might be chickens. We were told they were 'game birds' so thats all I really searched for. I think you guys are right though. Google images produced several pics that make me think they are young EE's. That would actually be pretty cool, since I couldn't really justify keeping them without purpose. Now I have a reason to keep them :celebrate

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woohoo, unexpected chickens! :lol:
Some of mine still don't have any comb to speak of. The RIR are sporting large, red combs, but the EEs just have this tiny knob of darkish pink and they are almost 6 months old already.

If they are still really tiny, they might indeed be bantams. My beek friend's bantam is 1/3 the size of his other hens.