Natural Dyes for Soapmaking

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've been sifting through some of the old threads on here on soapmaking, trying to get some ideas. I am gearing up to try my hand at it and looked at some supplies today. I did buy a few essential oils. My dad had brought me two very fat does this year and I saved up all the fat as we processed them and rendered it for tallow and came out with quite a lot! I still have to look at a couple places online to buy the coconut oil and olive oil pomace the recipe I have calls for. I'm going to try hot process soaps because I like the look of them.

What I would like to do is try to compile a list of plants (herbs, flowers, berries, wild plants) that are useful additives for imparting some color to the soap. For example, I know dried, powdered basil will give a nice green. I am not so concerned with the scent of the plants just yet, just the color. I garden and I forage, so I'd like some ideas, especially now that I am planning my seed orders for spring!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never tried dying anything before, but I know beets make red to pink, yellow onion skins make a lovely hue of yellow and blueberries make? you guessed it--blue! Good luck with your project.

Latest posts